Headphones with Good Isolation
Mar 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Random Guy

Head-Fier
Hey,

I was wondering which of these headphones isolate outside noise (such as on buses or in crouds) the best (please rate /10 of how well they isolate if you have heard them)?
Note: I would not like on ear or IEM because i wish to use them over 8 hours and find they will get uncomfortable after say 4 hours.

Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown
beyerdynamic  DT 770 pro
ultrasone pro 750
shure sr840
logitech 6000
Sennheiser Momentum
Denon AH-D1100
AKG K271

As for noise cancelling i found 2 that fit my price range.
audio technica ath anc7b
audio technica ath anc9
Is the 9 worth the extra $50? and how good is the SQ on these when the noise cancelling mode isn't active?

All Help greatly Appreciated.

Edit: a few have been removed thanks to the peoples suggestions below :)

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 8
The Philips Fidelio L1 is semi-open so it has no good isolation.
The Audio-Technnica ATH-ESW9 has worse than average isolation.
The Denon AH-D1100 and the Sennheiser Momentum have quite good isolation.
The Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9 has quite good isolation too (when active isolation is turned off) and it's the only headphone with three modes of active noise cancelling including the 'office' mode that I like.
Didn't use rest headphones from this list. I'd say that the Beyerdynamic DT1350 and the Sennheiser Amperior have very, very good isolation.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
The Philips Fidelio L1 is semi-open so it has no good isolation.
The Audio-Technnica ATH-ESW9 has worse than average isolation.
The Denon AH-D1100 and the Sennheiser Momentum have quite good isolation.
The Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9 has quite good isolation too (when active isolation is turned off) and it's the only headphone with three modes of active noise cancelling including the 'office' mode that I like.
Didn't use rest headphones from this list. I'd say that the Beyerdynamic DT1350 and the Sennheiser Amperior have very, very good isolation.

Thank you for helping me narrow it down. I have looked at both the beyerdynamic DT1350 and sennheiser amperior but i would prefer a full size headphones (i will be using them for like 8 hours straight) since i find IEMs and on-ear headphones uncomfortable after a few hours. 

Quote:
If you need isolation that much, go with IEMs.

I find IEMs and on the ear headphones uncomfortable (even the ones that are meant to be really comfortable) after a few hours. i will be listening to them for like 8 hours straight or long periods like that

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 8
I've heard the 770 Pros, PRO 750s, and the D2000's.

The 770 Pros have good isolation, but for my taste in music, their sound doesn't lend itself well to loud environments. In a quiet environment I found them to have pretty nice mids, but once you get low frequency background noise the mids kind of drop out.

The PRO 750's don't really isolate all that well. Mids aren't great to begin with, and just get worse with outside noise.

The D2000s don't isolate at all.

If you can find a pair of AKG K271s, I think they are a phenomenal headphone for loud environments. Mids are a little forward, so when things are noisy vocals remain perfectly clear, their isolation is fantastic, and they are a pretty comfortable headphone. They are a touch bass light, especially the lower bass regions, but they have plenty of impact.

To me they sound better than fan favorites such as the DT1350s and HD25s, and come in well below those in price. (Used, I've seen them as cheap as $75, new, $150)

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I've heard the 770 Pros, PRO 750s, and the D2000's.

The 770 Pros have good isolation, but for my taste in music, their sound doesn't lend itself well to loud environments. In a quiet environment I found them to have pretty nice mids, but once you get low frequency background noise the mids kind of drop out.

The PRO 750's don't really isolate all that well. Mids aren't great to begin with, and just get worse with outside noise.

The D2000s don't isolate at all.

If you can find a pair of AKG K271s, I think they are a phenomenal headphone for loud environments. Mids are a little forward, so when things are noisy vocals remain perfectly clear, their isolation is fantastic, and they are a pretty comfortable headphone. They are a touch bass light, especially the lower bass regions, but they have plenty of impact.

To me they sound better than fan favorites such as the DT1350s and HD25s, and come in well below those in price. (Used, I've seen them as cheap as $75, new, $150)

What kind of music do you listen to? i am having a look at the k271s now but i cant find them for $150 Oo only $200+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back