Headphones with detachable wire?!
Feb 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

propiro98

New Head-Fier
Wow is the first thing I must say...I am blown away from the info some of you guys pack in your heads! So i'm hoping to soak some of that up and hopefully get some feedback for my next purchase of headphones.

I recently have gone through my 2nd pair of headphones in almost 3 years, and i'm looking for something more durable.
First pair I had was a set of Skullcandy Skullcrushers (had a friend working at best buy who got me a mad discount) 
2nd pair of headphones were the Koss Pro4AAT Stereophones. Both of them broke the same way (guessing the wire cracked and only one headphone worked after) 

I don't treat my headphones like gold but i don't throw them around either. So i was thinking of getting a set with a detachable wire so if the wire breaks I can just replace that instead buying another set of headphones.

As a student I don't have 500$ to spend on headphones but using them hours a day (to & from school/work on public transport) I do want to make an investment and get a great sounding pair that can last a while. My taste for music runs all over the place (classic rock, 50's 60's, rock, punk, metal, crooners, rap, hip-hop, dance, techno and lots more.)

My music players are the iPhone 4 and an Archos 402.

So i'm looking for

1. Under 350$ 
  2. Overhead (Noise cancelling can be an option) 
  3. detachable wire (Unless you believe there are sets that can last the test of time)
  4. Using them on the road (to & from school/work on public transport)

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and answer!

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 21
The only one that came to mind was AKG K702.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by desktophifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

M-audio Q40

I second this, the Q40s are a great bang for your buck full-sized headphone, metal hinges, very durable. Did I mention they sound great? lol.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 21
I'd recommend the Shure SRH440 ($99) or the B&W P5 ($299). The Shure has excellent sound quality all over the place, but is more suited to a "stay at home" pair because of the giant curly cord, and though it is detachable, there's a special twist lock that makes it hard to swap it for a different kind of cable, though replacing for the same one in case of damage is simple. On the other hand, the P5s (which generally have mixed reviews on this site, though I find them to be fantastic) are an extremely low profile set of headphones. They are slim, beautiful, and they sound very nice. Behind magnetic leather ear pads, is a cleverly hidden area where the cable is detachable. Many people feel that the sound quality isn't enough to warrant the price but I feel that the sound quality, in combination with its portability and durability, make it very worth it.

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Looks like I will have some homework to do...most of these look pretty awesome,

Where are you using them? home listening? 

The Shure 440's are great, Portable/home use. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 21

I'd say the sound quality of the P5's is not worth even $50. My KSC-75 spanks them.

Quote:
I'd recommend the Shure SRH440 ($99) or the B&W P5 ($299). The Shure has excellent sound quality all over the place, but is more suited to a "stay at home" pair because of the giant curly cord, and though it is detachable, there's a special twist lock that makes it hard to swap it for a different kind of cable, though replacing for the same one in case of damage is simple. On the other hand, the P5s (which generally have mixed reviews on this site, though I find them to be fantastic) are an extremely low profile set of headphones. They are slim, beautiful, and they sound very nice. Behind magnetic leather ear pads, is a cleverly hidden area where the cable is detachable. Many people feel that the sound quality isn't enough to warrant the price but I feel that the sound quality, in combination with its portability and durability, make it very worth it.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 21
I really enjoy my B&W P5, but it's a tough set to recommend given the price.  The Sennheiser HD-25-1 II and the AIAIAI TMA-1 sound perfect for your needs.  They're easy to drive with a portable player, they're relatively compact for on-the-go use, they're closed and provide good sound isolation while on the run, and they both feature detachable cables.  The Sennheiser has a very loyal following, but some have been won over by the newer TMA-1 (it's certainly more physically attractive IMO).  They can both be had for $200, which is well below your $350 budget.  You could even put that leftover $150 towards an amp/dac if you wanted another step-up in sound quality.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 21
AKG K271 MK II have cables that are easy to replace (the HP comes with 2 cables & 2 sets of pads). Isolation is pretty good for when you're travelling. Not sure how well the do without an amp with most portable devices, they sound fine from a HM 601, but that has a more powerful amp than is typical.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
I'd say the sound quality of the P5's is not worth even $50. My KSC-75 spanks them.

I've never had the opportunity to give the KSC-75s a listen, and while I'm sure they're quite good, it's possible that our ears and listening preferences aren't exactly the same and as a result, our mileage may vary. What do you think of the 440s?

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 21
Unless you feel they're too big then I can give positive feedback on the Ultrasone Pro 750. They are very comfortable, don't seem to get too warm, and have a detachable cable. I will warn you ahead of time - you either love or hate the Ultrasone sound - that's the stone cold truth. Clearly I love it, but it'd be best if you heard it first.

Nonetheless I saw one on eBay for $240+shipping.. so not a bad deal. With your range you could also look at an eBay set of the Ultrasone Pro 900s - again, with a detachable cable. Ooh and both come with a very solid hard case, so that may help in protecting them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back