Headphones with detachable wire?!
Feb 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #16 of 21
HD600/HD650 both have detachable cables and are sexy like no other.
Not too portable although.

Beware the Sennheiser 580/600/650 fool-ya cables. All the sets I've had and others have had the cables go "bad" and users think the headphone is bad or the cables are. You just pull 'em out, wipe the tips, and plug 'em back in and voila! Like new!

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 21
Why do you need detachable cables? Physical connections, like soldering, are always better than a mechanical connection. Besides, plugging and unplugging jacks causes them to wear out (there's usually a couple of metal prongs that make contact - they tend to bend out of shape after awhile) and replacing those would be as much, if not more, trouble than replacing a cord. Possibly more difficult if the jack is some proprietary thing the company wants a lot of money for or refuses to sell to the public.

Just find the pair of headphones you want, regardless of the cord. If the cord gets damaged, go to the DIY Forum. You can find information on recabling or find a member who will do it for you.

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #18 of 21
I'd say the sound quality of the P5's is not worth even $50. My KSC-75 spanks them.

The P5's are hard to recommend for $300, but they are fairly neutral sounding, and most of the portables in the $150 or so range like the Klipsch Image One are much worse. The biggest problem with the P5 for portability is they don't stay put when you move your head around.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
Why do you need detachable cables? Physical connections, like soldering, are always better than a mechanical connection. Besides, plugging and unplugging jacks causes them to wear out (there's usually a couple of metal prongs that make contact - they tend to bend out of shape after awhile) and replacing those would be as much, if not more, trouble than replacing a cord. Possibly more difficult if the jack is some proprietary thing the company wants a lot of money for or refuses to sell to the public.

Just find the pair of headphones you want, regardless of the cord. If the cord gets damaged, go to the DIY Forum. You can find information on recabling or find a member who will do it for you.

I don't plan on unplugging and plugging in my jacks, just looking for a more suitable solution because of the previous problems I have had. My new set will be an upgrade on what I had before so although I might sacrifice quality being a mechanical connection it will still sound leaps and bounds better then what I previously owned. But i will take your advice and give the DIY Forum a look.

thx

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
Quote:
HD600/HD650 both have detachable cables and are sexy like no other.
Not too portable although.

Beware the Sennheiser 580/600/650 fool-ya cables. All the sets I've had and others have had the cables go "bad" and users think the headphone is bad or the cables are. You just pull 'em out, wipe the tips, and plug 'em back in and voila! Like new!

thanks actually, you might have just saved me 200dollars on an unneeded cardas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back