Headphones vs speakers
Feb 19, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #46 of 47
Atmos opens a new can of worms, previous Yamaha HT amp was Atmos enabled but being an “entry” model it came with the original YPAO and Mic, upgraded to a later Aventage 2080 and it comes with YPAO plus RSC and a different Mic with a 3 spoke Mic stand and riser, supposedly the best results are obtained from multi position measurements so I used all the 8 available positions which uses 3 readings each and then one final central “height” measurement with the Mic on the riser, made a big difference to Atmos enabled movie soundtracks as well as 5.1 audio, don’t have any dedicated Atmos audio recordings to try just yet, 7.2.2 setup with a pair of Atmos speakers overhead.
With headphones I still have the Stax Demo CD that used an early Neumann dummy head for recording, and it’s still impressive, there’s an old thread “awesome binaural recordings” in “archived blogs” that you may want to try and find ?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #47 of 47
Yes, the more speakers, the more work it is to calibrate.

I’m afraid I’m one of the ones that binaural doesn’t work for at all. It isn’t a one size fits all thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back