Headphones vs Speakers -- an Inconvenient Truth
Apr 14, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #166 of 350

1. Yes, absolutely crucial but for two reasons, not just one: Firstly, yes, speaker performance is defined by the room acoustics. Typically, a $1,000 set of speakers in a well treated room will out perform a $20,000+ set of speakers in an untreated room. Secondly, commercial recording/mastering studios are NOT designed to be dead (anechoic), they do typically use some absorption to reduce room reflections but they usually employ at least a fair amount of diffusion. Diffusion randomises room reflections rather than removing them, which stops the reflections from interacting and changing the perceived frequency response. This too is a crucial factor because music is mixed and mastered in these rooms (with their neutral room reverb/acoustics). In other words, the music has been designed to be listened to in a room (with room acoustics). Listening to music on headphones obviously largely eliminates room acoustics, the music therefore sounds much drier (less reverb) than intended. The result of effectively less reverb is that the music sounds more "in your head", more separated and more detailed than was intended. Some people like that, others prefer accuracy (to hear what the artists intended).

2. I would say that's certain rather than "possible". It's not a question of "if" the setup/room acoustics are "sabotaging" speaker performance, it's a question of "how much". Typical rooms in houses are roughly cuboid shaped which is unfortunately the absolute worst possible shape acoustically.

3. That's simply impossible. I'm not knocking your 305's, I've used them myself and IMHO they're about the best you can buy in their price range. There's a bit of a misconception that Nearfield monitors solve room acoustics issues, this is not true. They can significantly reduce some issues but they can also cause others; typically they're placed on a desk, which acts as a very close, big reflective surface and that's very bad acoustically.

-----------------------------------------

There are a few photos/videos in this thread of systems which some members seem to be impressed by. I'm not impressed, quite the opposite in fact, to me they appear ridiculous. They look like the audio equivalent of someone who's just stuck a new V12 Ferrari engine into a Ford Fiesta. It might give you great "bragging rights", sound awesome and out perform a unmodified Fiesta but it won't perform anywhere near an actual supercar, it won't even perform as well as a relatively cheap stock sports saloon! Those audio systems are designed by people (and for people) whose passion is audio equipment, not those whose passion is audio performance. IE. It's for audio-equipment-philes rather than audiophiles! Here's a photo which illustrates my point above (about diffusion) and is a real audiophile "supercar". Notice that it's not about massive speakers, it's about very high quality, appropriately sized speakers and the effort put into the acoustic treatment:

G

Where the other photos were over the top speaker wise this seems a little bit over the top room wise.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #167 of 350

To avoid such a problem with desk reflections something more like this will avoid it..

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #168 of 350
my speakers are standing on cheap yoga bricks ^_^. it improves the audio at my sitting position because the tweeter part is now very close to ear level(unless I sit like a larva). it reduced the reflections from the desk and almost entirely solved my original problem which was having the damn desk to resonate loudly
angry_face.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #169 of 350
  my speakers are standing on cheap yoga bricks ^_^. it improves the audio at my sitting position because the tweeter part is now very close to ear level(unless I sit like a larva). it reduced the reflections from the desk and almost entirely solved my original problem which was having the damn desk to resonate loudly
angry_face.gif

I've had to flip my Airmotiv 5s on their heads ( Like the Z man on YouTube) to get the tweeters at ear level.

I don't have that problem with the LS50s.
wink_face.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #171 of 350
  I just use stands.
cool.gif

I was considering doing that....

If I did not have my drum rack sitting in the closet, its probably the route I would have taken.  Are those stand's height infinitely adjustable?   Or do they have stop points to lock into?

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #172 of 350
  I was considering doing that....

If I did not have my drum rack sitting in the closet, its probably the route I would have taken.  Are those stand's height infinitely adjustable?   Or do they have stop points to lock into?

Well, it can't be raised to the heavens. lol. The maximum height is listed as 3.6'. But it doesn't have any preset steps. You just unlock it with the twisty thing (I dunno what it's called), adjust to your desired height, then lock it again. (It's better to do it without speakers on it; otherwise you'd have to lift up their weight.) If it's high enough, you can also insert a locking pin into a hole for added support. Here is info on the stands I have.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #173 of 350

Well, it can't be raised to the heavens. lol. The maximum height is listed as 3.6'. But it doesn't have any preset steps. You just unlock it with the twisty thing (I dunno what it's called), adjust to your desired height, then lock it again. (It's better to do it without speakers on it; otherwise you'd have to lift up their weight.) If it's high enough, you can also insert a locking pin into a hole for added support. Here is info on the stands I have.

If they are not preset?  This might help in zeroing in the focus.....  https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-42-480-48-Inch-Professional-I-Beam/dp/B00002X2F2

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #175 of 350
Apr 15, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #178 of 350
I've been a headphones guy for a long time out of necessity.

The times when I've truly been able to blast music out into the air turned up to 11 have been rare, as I've lived in apartments with neighbors close by.

Out of necessity then, I've gotten into headphones.  My current primary listening setup is as follows:

Schiit Modi Multibit -> Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650

Recently - however - I moved into a single family home, and have had more ability to play music out loud.

At first I was very disappointed.  The speakers I tried all had very weak midrange compared to my HD650's and I found them unpleasant to listen to.

Then I discovered RBH speakers.   My main listening area at my desktop now has a set of RBH 41-SE bookshelves powered by an Emotiva UPA-2 amp, with bass provided by an SVS SB12-NSD.  This setup is pure audio bliss.   I no longer feel like I ma suffering from that mid-range deficiency.   

Right now Id' be torn between my headphones and my speakers.  I think I like the mids better in the HD650's, but the RBH speakers and the sub provide much better highs and bass,  It's a tough choice.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #179 of 350
  I've been a headphones guy for a long time out of necessity.

The times when I've truly been able to blast music out into the air turned up to 11 have been rare, as I've lived in apartments with neighbors close by.

Out of necessity then, I've gotten into headphones.  My current primary listening setup is as follows:

Schiit Modi Multibit -> Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650

Recently - however - I moved into a single family home, and have had more ability to play music out loud.

At first I was very disappointed.  The speakers I tried all had very weak midrange compared to my HD650's and I found them unpleasant to listen to.

Then I discovered RBH speakers.   My main listening area at my desktop now has a set of RBH 41-SE bookshelves powered by an Emotiva UPA-2 amp, with bass provided by an SVS SB12-NSD.  This setup is pure audio bliss.   I no longer feel like I ma suffering from that mid-range deficiency.   

Right now Id' be torn between my headphones and my speakers.  I think I like the mids better in the HD650's, but the RBH speakers and the sub provide much better highs and bass,  It's a tough choice.

What about soundstage, imaging, and fine detail?  Which allows you to better pick out specific locations of specific sounds?

What I love about my 598s (even more so than the 650) is the wide soundstage and the layering of sounds.  By layering, I mean I can hear 2 or more distinct sounds coming from the same location, but some sound closer to me, others more far away.  I've never been able to achieve this 3-dimensional soundstage width and depth with my Polk towers, no matter how I positioned them.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #180 of 350
  they are seriously expensive in malaysia

They were not exactly cheap here... but not very expensive.   Sorry to hear that.  Yet, you get products there that we need to spend a greater amount for as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back