Headphones Upgrade/Comparable to Shure SRH 240
Sep 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mr Shine

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago I used this forum to great effect in settling on the Shure SRH 240 headphones and I have loved them, but sadly the cord started to give up yesterday and I am now in the market for a new set of headphones for use listening to music on my laptop at home as well as around town with my iPhone on public transport and the like. I found the SRH 240s to be perfect as they seemed to have good, balanced sound with decent mids/highs and bass that was solid but not overpowering.

My price range might be a little difficult to define, as I'm in New Zealand and I'm not sure how prices and their variations carry overseas. For some possible guidance, I'm wanting to spend NZD$150 (give or take a small amount), and for example I can get the Sennheiser HD449s for NZD$143.75 whereas the Sennheiser HD518s are NZD$169. Those are just two random examples - I'm not set on Sennheisers, or necessarily spending right up to or beyod my budget limit!

As far as brands and models go, I seem to find Sennheiser headphones to be overpoweringly bassy. I listen to a good variety of music, but certainly at the moment most of my listening is trance/similar electronic music. I'd like something with a good, balanced sound range. I'm not really an audiophile so I don't know much about the terminology or how well I can explain things, but hopefully that helps describe what I'm after somewhat :)

As I said, I will be playing from my iPhone and my laptop at home with no amplifier, so something that suits those applications and doesn't need extra power to really shine. Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago I used this forum to great effect in settling on the Shure SRH 240 headphones and I have loved them, but sadly the cord started to give up yesterday and I am now in the market for a new set of headphones for use listening to music on my laptop at home as well as around town with my iPhone on public transport and the like. I found the SRH 240s to be perfect as they seemed to have good, balanced sound with decent mids/highs and bass that was solid but not overpowering.

My price range might be a little difficult to define, as I'm in New Zealand and I'm not sure how prices and their variations carry overseas. For some possible guidance, I'm wanting to spend NZD$150 (give or take a small amount), and for example I can get the Sennheiser HD449s for NZD$143.75 whereas the Sennheiser HD518s are NZD$169. Those are just two random examples - I'm not set on Sennheisers, or necessarily spending right up to or beyod my budget limit!

As far as brands and models go, I seem to find Sennheiser headphones to be overpoweringly bassy. I listen to a good variety of music, but certainly at the moment most of my listening is trance/similar electronic music. I'd like something with a good, balanced sound range. I'm not really an audiophile so I don't know much about the terminology or how well I can explain things, but hopefully that helps describe what I'm after somewhat :)

As I said, I will be playing from my iPhone and my laptop at home with no amplifier, so something that suits those applications and doesn't need extra power to really shine. Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!

As you travel with the headphone, would you prefer closed headphones, or are semi-open ok?
The Takstar Hi2050 (Technical Pro HPT990) are a great bargain for the sound quality and come with decent Velour ear pads.
They cost $64 US (78 NZD), try eBay, Seaben & AliExpress

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 4
a shure srh 440 is an overall improvement over the srh240 in every way , may want to consider that, or maybe a srh840 IF you can afford it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back