Headphones up to £100 with DacMagic XS USB DAC
Sep 23, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #16 of 31
I have been looking at some closed back. Such as LINDY HF-100 Premium Hi-Fi Headphones they look super comfy.

Only issue with the open back is that everyone can hear what your listening too but I generally think I would enjoy them as I have never owned a pair. 

Closed back would be great also, but I would need some advice.

Also what would be classed as neutral headphones? As I want to enjoy the music if that makes sense. And most of all comfortable 8 to 12 hours of use.

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #17 of 31
  There are a few on Amazon. I like the old skool retro look http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=akg%20240&sprefix=akg+2%2Caps

I think I have narrowed it down to

AKG 612 or Senns 558 / 598 But could the E18 drive these three headphones?

I would love a pair of AKG K240 range (600 ohm) but I cant find any in the uk.

You have the Mk.2 K240 there, the old ones are the 600 ohm ones.

They do come up now and again on eBay -

http://goo.gl/7tWFw9
http://goo.gl/ttk5pp
http://goo.gl/WyBM34
http://goo.gl/Ik0Efb

It doesn't help you now but I'd recommend checking the listings now and again for bargains like these.

The E18 will drive any of the headphones you list. Look at the impedance and sensitivity ratings - remember I tried the E18 with headphones which are 88dB sensitivity (not that sensitive) and 600ohms impedance (high) - it had power to spare. A full size amp may well have powered them better but for a portable unit this does the trick.

Any headphones with the same or higher sensitivity and impedance of 600 ohms or below will be powered fine by the E18.

Also what would be classed as neutral headphones? As I want to enjoy the music if that makes sense. And most of all comfortable 8 to 12 hours of use.  

Back to the old K240, famously neutral!

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #18 of 31
Sep 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #19 of 31
If I went for the 558 can I use these without an amp whist I wait for my E18 to come. These are my open choice I think.

Now if I went for a closed solution some issue would be

Portability. As I want to be able to take them to work in a satchel bag, so they would need to fit in that, they dont have to fold.

Easy to swap ear cups.

Beyers look promising but I am not too sure on 80 ohms or 250 ohms.

LINDY-HF-100

Beyers Custom One

SoundMagic HP 100

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #20 of 31
If I went for the 558 can I use these without an amp whist I wait for my E18 to come. These are my open choice I think.

Now if I went for a closed solution some issue would be

Portability. As I want to be able to take them to work in a satchel bag, so they would need to fit in that, they dont have to fold.

Easy to swap ear cups.

Beyers look promising but I am not too sure on 80 ohms or 250 ohms.

LINDY-HF-100

Beyers Custom One

SoundMagic HP 100

The 558 is useable out of a phone or Clip Zip but not great. Very good out of a Fiio E10 and excellent out of the Modi/Magni stack.

Would do the 32 Ohm version of the DT770s unless you buy a Dac/Amp.

The Custom Ones are an interesting idea...haven't heard them though.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #21 of 31
The 558 is useable out of a phone or Clip Zip but not great. Very good out of a Fiio E10 and excellent out of the Modi/Magni stack.

Would do the 32 Ohm version of the DT770s unless you buy a Dac/Amp.

The Custom Ones are an interesting idea...haven't heard them though.

I have looked at the E10 its not very portable so I have decided the E18 maybe better as I can use my 5s with it too.  

DT770s 80 ohms seems to be the most popular listed on here out of the 32, 80 and 250. Custom Ones look too bass driven reading reviews

Amazon also do replacement pads. for them too.

What about DT880 PRO as they are semi open. So would they be better?

The Beyers 250 ohms I have read they require a lot of power which the E18 can handle as previously mentioned but would I notice it?

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #22 of 31
I have looked at the E10 its not very portable so I have decided the E18 maybe better as I can use my 5s with it too.  

DT770s 80 ohms seems to be the most popular listed on here out of the 32, 80 and 250. Custom Ones look too bass driven reading reviews

Amazon also do replacement pads. for them too.

What about DT880 PRO as they are semi open. So would they be better?

The Beyers 250 ohms I have read they require a lot of power which the E18 can handle as previously mentioned but would I notice it?

Yeah...the E18 would definitely be a better choice than the E10 from a power and portability standpoint. Just was providing a point of reference as I've used 558s, 770s, q701s, etc. with it. Since these cans all work fine with the E10, they should work very well with the E18.

Haven't heard the 880s...but they obviously have a great reputation.

One nuance about the treble with the Beyer line -- some folks find it too bright. I don't but if you're sensitive to treble, the Senns may be the better way to go.

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #23 of 31
I appreciate you input and hope you did not take offence, On ebay I have seen some dt 880s 600 ohms used for £150 which seems like a bragain. 

How easy are the cups to swap and could you provide me with any indication what semi open is please.

As the obvious fall back would be 558 then dt 770 80 ohms.

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #24 of 31
My home setup is 

Cambridge Audio CD4
Gale Model4 speakers
Kenwood amplifier ka-3020.

I got give them for free off a friend. Anyway I can improve this setup?

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #25 of 31
I appreciate you input and hope you did not take offence, On ebay I have seen some dt 880s 600 ohms used for £150 which seems like a bragain. 

How easy are the cups to swap and could you provide me with any indication what semi open is please.

As the obvious fall back would be 558 then dt 770 80 ohms.

No offence taken. :)

Haven't swapped the pads...mostly because their more than comfortable enough for me and I like the Beyer sound. Based on what I've read, in some threads that talk about pad options for them, it's not that difficult.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #26 of 31
I think I may get either the

DT770 or DT880 Premium 600 ohms

If I go for the DT770 the most popular seem to be 80 ohms and 250 ohms which my E18 will be great with. However I have seen some DT 880 Premiums at a great price the 600 ohm version. I know they leak sound but when I have watched videos they dont seem that bad as an open ear.

So which would you get and why.

Can I ask GearMe what version you have of the DT770s please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back