Headphones under $100 recommendations?
Apr 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sniperwill0

Head-Fier
Hey guys. I just got myself a $75 Amazon gift card from a friend, and I'm looking to invest in a second pair of cans. I currently own a pair of Shure SRH-940s, but I'd like to experience different sound. My budget is about $100 (including gift card). Right now, I'm considering the ATH-M50s, but I'm looking for other recommendations as well. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 15
Hey guys. I just got myself a $75 Amazon gift card from a friend, and I'm looking to invest in a second pair of cans. I currently own a pair of Shure SRH-940s, but I'd like to experience different sound. My budget is about $100 (including gift card). Right now, I'm considering the ATH-M50s, but I'm looking for other recommendations as well. Any suggestions? Thanks!

What type of music do you listen to?

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 15
Everything. Although not much Hip-hop or electronic (dub-step, house etc.)

Okay well the M50 arent really what you should get. I think you should get the Fostex T50RP and if they arent appealing to you then get the Fostex TH7 because they had balanced sound and will compliment everything! Fostex is good at making neutral cans :)

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 15
Okay well the M50 arent really what you should get. I think you should get the Fostex T50RP and if they arent appealing to you then get the Fostex TH7 because they had balanced sound and will compliment everything! Fostex is good at making neutral cans :)

Just got a chance to listen to the Fostex T50RP today at a head-fi meet. Really good neutral sound for the money. :)

I have the M50s. Definitely not neutral.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for the suggestions! How is the comfort for the TH7? I have relatively big ears that protrude out a bit. Even with my 940s, I find that the cups are just right in terms of vertical diameter. However, the depth was a bit shallow for my ears, so I had to mod them. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for the suggestions! How is the comfort for the TH7? I have relatively big ears that protrude out a bit. Even with my 940s, I find that the cups are just right in terms of vertical diameter. However, the depth was a bit shallow for my ears, so I had to mod them. 

The TH7 are comfy for hours! They are on ear but the pads are memory foam/ low resistance foam so they are comfy for about 3 hours before they get sore :)

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 15
I see, i'll consider it. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of the on-ear design, more of an over-ear guy. Do you know any circumaural cans around that price?

The AKG K99 are VERY comfy cans :) they are open though. They have nice overall sound, with nice balanced sound.
Beyerdynamic DT440 are good :)
Grado SR80i are good too if you dont mind open cans.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 15
Grado SR80i would probably be the most different headphone you could get. I choose the SR80i.

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 15
Well i have only breifly heard them but from what i remember, they were bright, cold and had a nice bass thump for an open cans :) Very happy and fun sounding :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back