Headphones to speakers
Mar 4, 2006 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nightfire

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone listen to music on nice cans for say 4 hours, then get tired of it, take them off, and switch to speakers, and feel like you were gonna die?

confused.gif

If I ever run across a speaker-fi.org equivalent of this site I'm a goner..

Mar 5, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 16
Thankfully my architectural constraints forbid me from upgrading my speaker rig much further.

That is... unless... i sleep in a hammock, remove all of my furniture and sell it for those quad.......

never mind.

Mar 5, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 16
I hate loud speakers. People abuse the function of the sub. I am in residence for university and all I hear is constant thumping noises. It's been 3 years and every year I get some ***hole as a neighbor.
Thank god for headphones, haha.

Mar 5, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower
I hate loud speakers. People abuse the function of the sub. I am in residence for university and all I hear is constant thumping noises. It's been 3 years and every year I get some *****hole as a neighbor.

I would love to see some university student abuse their sub while living next to me

I'd abuse my sub so hard they'll be begging me to turn it off

Mar 5, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 16
To get speaker equivalent of my headphones would cost an even bigger fortune than I'm already spending. I will admit that really nice speakers are a joy, but a joy I cannot afford. I've had way too many ok>good nothing special speakers over the years, unless they are *really* good they don't do it for me. By really good I mean fast, detailed, full-range awesomeness. Bookshelf speakers with a sub would not do.

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 16
The great thing about a headphone-based system is that you can get pretty amazing sound quality compared to the $$$ you spend. It's been said here before, but you can spend $1,500 and have something that, in pure hi-fi terms, can compete sonically with a $10,000 rig.

However, there are still times when I have to kick in my speaker-based system because I'm just not getting as 'pure' a musical fix. Maybe it's because I'm still new to the high-end headphone scene, but I find that I get more of an emotional connection with the music when it's coming out of speakers on the other side of the room.

poon: I hear your pain. home theatre systems have a lot to answer for
mad.gif
Subs might be great for watching movies, but (IMO) have no place when listening to music if your system is balanced. It's the home-based equivalent of those sad guys (and they're ALWAYS guys) cruising down the street with 2kW of cronically distorted subwoofer coming out of their 15 year-old Camry...
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower
I hate loud speakers. People abuse the function of the sub. I am in residence for university and all I hear is constant thumping noises. It's been 3 years and every year I get some *****hole as a neighbor.

I feel you. I hate it when i'm sitting there with my headphones on and i'm still hearing "BRRRRRRTTTTTT BRRRRRRRTTTTTT BRRRRRRTTTTT BBBUUUUUNNNNNNNNN BUUUUUUUNNNNNNN BUUUUNNNNNNNN BRRRRRRRRRTTTTT BRRRRRRRRTTTTTT" and then i exit my apartment to go to class and hear that the person upstairs is playing something from the Temptations.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #10 of 16
Having never really heard any true hi-fi speakers, I have to say that so far, I much prefer headphone based audio. Sure you don't get the tactile sensations of the music on your body, but you get pure unadulterated sound into your ears. I possibly will build a full range system with some Fostex drivers or something for my game systems this summer, since playing many of these games out of a tiny mono speaker is just cruel at times. I figure that using Fostex's and a T-Amp should provide excellent sound on a budget, since the majority of my savings up to this point are going to be going towards the M3 and the source upgrades. If I do get the speakers constructed, I will take a listen to them with my music, but I doubt that I will be turned from headphones easily.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
I would love to see some university student abuse their sub while living next to me

I'd abuse my sub so hard they'll be begging me to turn it off

The guy in my uni house last year played guitar, and was happy to turn up the volume until somebody came and shut him up. Unfortunately he was also the least talented guitar player in the world, which made it worse.

One morning, whilst he had a heavy hangover, he was treated to some Wagner as loud as my speakers could go without distorting. Strangely enough he quitened down after that.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Happens all the time with me. I wonder why I spent so much money on headphones and never quite reach that satisfaction.

Start saving for a K1k?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The guy in my uni house last year played guitar, and was happy to turn up the volume until somebody came and shut him up. Unfortunately he was also the least talented guitar player in the world, which made it worse.

One morning, whilst he had a heavy hangover, he was treated to some Wagner as loud as my speakers could go without distorting. Strangely enough he quitened down after that..

I'd knock on his door, and show him a spoon and say something on the lines of "I am going to sleep now, and I will eat your brains with this spoon if I don't get my sleep." I suppose I am too quick-tempered for my own good, though
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

I'd knock on his door, and show him a spoon and say something on the lines of "I am going to sleep now, and I will eat your brains with this spoon if I don't get my sleep." I suppose I am too quick-tempered for my own good, though

hahahaha, thats the best way to solve a problem.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
Having never really heard any true hi-fi speakers

When you do, it's much the same as hearing a pair of high end cans and then wanting to buy them.

Just don't do it with speakers. Your poor wallet will commit suicide ten times over.
smily_headphones1.gif

I heard the B&W 803S speakers a long time ago, and I have never managed to get their beautiful... that.. beautiful.. beaut... oh god I WANT THOSE LOUDSPEAKERS.. sound out of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back