Headphones to replace HD595
Nov 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

VicM

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some new headphones and dac/amp. I am leaning towards AKG Q701 with a Fiio e17(or e10) or the JDS O2 (or is a soundcard like an Xonar STX a better idea). Id like to stay around $500-550 for a budget, so id like some suggestions. The music I listen to is Trance and Classic Rock, and I game quite a bit.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 9
AKG Q701 headphones, $220

Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, $170.
Or a Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $60) and a Schiit Magni Headphone amplifier, $99.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 9
  AKG Q701 headphones, $220

Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, $170.
Or a Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $60) and a Schiit Magni Headphone amplifier, $99.

What do you think about going with the Magni/Modi combo with those headphones? Or do you feel an STX is a better option over an external dac? I don't really use all those software features of the xonar for gaming like the EAX type stuff.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 9
If you like your HD595's then you'd love the HD600's. You'd probably do better with the newer FiiO E18 DAC/Amp it has the same drive ability as the E10 which is better than the E17.

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 9
  What do you think about going with the Magni/Modi combo with those headphones? Or do you feel an STX is a better option over an external dac? I don't really use all those software features of the Xonar for gaming like the EAX type stuff.

USB external DACs bypass the on-board sound card and any add-on internal sound cards.
Not sure how any game audio might work, with out access to a audio processor (sound card).
I'm sure the Magni/Modi will make great 2-channel stereo audio, for music and your ok with watching movies or gaming, in 2-channel stereo audio.

Right now it looks like I'll removing my Essence STX and using my new Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/amp, $255+ shipping.
I can use S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) to connect the 15.32 to on-board audio or a cheap sound card,
as S/PDIF still allows you use use sound card features.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 9
  If you like your HD595's then you'd love the HD600's. You'd probably do better with the newer FiiO E18 DAC/Amp it has the same drive ability as the E10 which is better than the E17.

Isn't the e18 more for android phones?

Has anyone used the Audioengine D1? Is it any good as a amp/dac for headphones? I might get some A5+ in a few months so I was wondering if that may be an easier route (but that's a whole different topic).

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD 

Isn't the e18 more for android phones?
:
:

It should work with a PC as well. I believe iDevices are tricky since manufacturers have to wrangle directly with Apple and be blessed. I could be wrong, but I think there's some required tribute ($) to the fruit company.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 9
I actually upgraded from HD595 to Q701, and I love it. Their signature share some similarities: neither of these headphone have very boomy base, they both have a bright sound and wide stage. If HD595 have served you well, I think Q701 will simple do a better job. To me the Q701s sound superior just about all around. But ...

While the HD595 isn't too picky on the amp and source, the Q701 is quite different. I started with ipod 6 gen -> Fiio E12, far from the best in amp+dac department, but they work the H595 beautifully. Not so much for the Q701 though. The Q701 still sound good, but flawed, like I normally read others complain about: highs are too bright and lack of control, mids are a bit dry, lows are a bit weak and muddy.. etc. 

I suspect E12 couldn't bring out Q701's full potential. So I tried M-stage. This time the Q701 sound amazing, those flaws I mention are gone. And if I use a better source they sound even better, but not as much as the M-stage's improvement IMO.

So from my experience you might wanna invest more in the amp, it will serve you well.

I do enjoy the Q701 with Trance, they sound very fast with nice clarity. I like to listen to infested mushroom with them. For classic rock, I think they are great in general, but sometimes the bright highs bother me a little, I guess that's fatigue in headphone terms. For games they are excellent. I love the sound stage and detail.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 9
I went with the Q701 and a Xonar STX, mainly because I game quite a bit and I plan to get some speakers soon. The sound is very clean compared to HD595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back