Headphones to match Hifiman HM-602
Dec 20, 2011 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
I recently got the HM-602 and I have sold out almost all my portable gear. I just find the sound of this dap to be simply great! The analogue-like sound of the non oversampling td1543 dac chip is just what I have been looking for. I enjoy it very much with Yuin G1A. This is my favourite. The 150 ohms of the G1A seems to match perfect with the amp inside HM-602. On occasion I use ER4S, and they make a terrific match as well, but while I love the sound, I never really liked the comfort. I find the amp to be very powerful and it even drives my bigger cans to a point where I would be happy with it, if I didn't have a bigger stationary tube amp in my living room for that purpose. Sometimes I enjoy HM-602>DX1000, but calling that portable is propably stretching the term ... On the other hand I do not find it to be an equally good match with very sensitive headphones...like Sony MDR-Z1000.

I couldn't be happyer with my portable setup... But I have a very strong urge to try other headphones with this great player. I'm looking for something like this:

Impedance between 100 and 300 ohm (would be appropriate, I think)

Not too sensitive

Closed with reasonable isolation

Sound: well this is the hard part. Something like G1A - but better. Something with punchy and natural sounding mids like ESW9 - but not so dark. Something airy like DT880 - but not open. Something like HD650 - but portable. Something not too polite and something not harsh sounding. I found Westone 4 to sound a little too polite. I also find Z1000 to be a little polite. G1A can produce raw sound without being unbearable and it's important to me, that music comes alive without hurting ones ears...I think the G1A does all that. And I wish it had a big brother... Is there a headphone out there?

T5P?
ESW10?

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Calling HM-602 owners. Which headphones do you prefer with this dap? Doesn't have to fit my criteria to be interesting.....

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 6
My all time favourite with this player seems to be ER4S with a solid core silver cable. I'm gonna try Beyerdynamic T5P in the future.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 6
I have the same question.  I just got a HM-602 and I've tried a few different IEMs and full size headphones.  I finally settled on the Audio Technica ATH-CKS77 IEMs that sound pretty good with it.  Nice low end and mids with good detail.  I will see what else I can find that might work.  I'm always on the lookout for a new IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back