Headphones to match Barefoot MM27 studio monitors
May 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tmhifi

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I´m looking for headphones that would match my Barefoot MM27 studio monitors.

My current best headphones are T1 and LCD-2. I think if those two would have a baby, it could be similar to the Barefoots. I find that the LCD-2 is lacking the soundstage, upper mids and treble brightness (laidback) and the T1 is lacking a lot of bass (laidback from the bass).

LCD-2 bass (with even deeper subs) + T1 soundstage and mids/treble detail = My dream headphones! 
regular_smile .gif

I find that all headphones I´ve tried are always missing something. Usually they lack the bass or the treble. With the Barefoots I can hear everything. Bass, mids, treble, incredible detail, it´s all there, but with headphones this is never the case. Of course I haven´t tried everything so I´m looking for suggestions.

So is there headphones out there that will cover the "full range" like full-range studio monitors such as the Barefoots?

May 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 11

ZARIM

IP address matches SNOOP_DOGG and HFAUDIOPHILE.
The Ultrasone Edition 10, Grado PS1000 offers very detailed sound in mids, highs, bass but they need better than average AMPs/DAC to shine.

May 9, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 11

tmhifi

New Head-Fier
Quote:
The Ultrasone Edition 10, Grado PS1000 offers very detailed sound in mids, highs, bass but they need better than average AMPs/DAC to shine.

That Tyll´s Ultrasone Edition 10 video was kinda brutal, so not really interested in those after seeing that. 
regular_smile .gif
 HD800 was already too bright for me and lacked lot of bass, even more than T1.

Haven´t had much experience of the Grado headphones, so those seem quite interesting. Definitely have to check the PS1000 out when I get the opportunity.

Anything else out there that would cover the "full range"?

May 24, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 11

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
The only "full range" models that come to mind are the ESP/950s - I know I suggest these far too often. They measure fairly flat, but they don't have lots of bottom end boom/bloom (they have good impact, but they're not bass monsters). Good everywhere else. The Grado GS-1000 (haven't heard the PS, sorry) is also very good at "full range" imho, but I haven't ever compared them 1:1 with the 950s. Good detail, speed, etc and nice staging. Not harsh imo.

I don't think you can get basshead bass and detail/soundstage club mids/treble all in one can. It'll either lack on the low end or in the mids; at least IME. The Grados and Koss are the closest to not doing that and still going deep, but I've not heard the LCD-2 or T1 (I've heard the T70 and found it overly harsh - people claim they're similar, I have no idea); we might be missing each other by a mile.

By reputation, the DX1000s are potentially a good candidate here too, but I'd certainly suggest you to pester an owner before going down that $1200 road.

Matching a good pair of full-range speakers, however, is always a hurdle. You do get to a point where speakers finally eclipse headphones in terms of performance/value. At the $100-$300 range, there's not a lot of speakers that even have a chance. But once you move into the thousands of dollars (and deal with acoustics/placement), it's really unfair for the headphone side of things.

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 11

thomasw1

New Head-Fier
My personal opinion, there's very few people on these boards that know what the **** you're talking about. The Barefoots are a bit colored in my opinion, maybe a bit bass heavy? But what else are you gonna buy, Genelecs? I owned the MM27's once, and I was the luckiest ******* in the world to own those. Just save up and buy another pair, now you have 4. I've been searching for 2 years trying to recreate it in a headphone. You can spend as many thousands as you want on a headphone/amp combo that you think will recreate it. It won't. The closest I've ever came wasn't even a headphone, it was a 5000 watt custom setup I designed for my friends car. Be happy that you're lucky enough to be able to afford what the MM27's can offer. Spend a couple hundred hours tuning them to your room, then drop some acid.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 11

Hun7er

Old ID: Love of Lava
I bought 2 months ago an pair of active monitoring Neumann KH120. During 2 years I tried high end headphone Abyss, HD800, HE6, SR007/009, Code X etc.
None of them can compete with my pair of KH120. If you have space for a pair of monitoring don't waste money with headphone.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 11

murphythecat

100+ Head-Fier
  I bought 2 months ago an pair of active monitoring Neumann KH120. During 2 years I tried high end headphone Abyss, HD800, HE6, SR007/009, Code X etc.
None of them can compete with my pair of KH120. If you have space for a pair of monitoring don't waste money with headphone.

I use amphion one18 studio monitors which are a few step better then kh120. to me, headphones and speaker are complimentary. I have a very well treated room and I still consider that headphones gives more details and resolution but are less dynamics, soundstage is lacking and the bass is nowhere near close to a good speaker system in terms of impact and visceral eperience.

For jazz and acoustic music, I prefer speaker. but for electronica and ambient, Ill always prefer headphones.

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 11

Hun7er

Old ID: Love of Lava
  I use amphion one18 studio monitors which are a few step better then kh120. to me, headphones and speaker are complimentary. I have a very well treated room and I still consider that headphones gives more details and resolution but are less dynamics, soundstage is lacking and the bass is nowhere near close to a good speaker system in terms of impact and visceral eperience.

For jazz and acoustic music, I prefer speaker. but for electronica and ambient, Ill always prefer headphones.

Can you give me an example of less details ?
Honestly I didn't notice that, I think it's more related of the fact you ear is less near the driver.

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 11

ubs28

Headphoneus Supremus
  Hi!

I´m looking for headphones that would match my Barefoot MM27 studio monitors.

My current best headphones are T1 and LCD-2. I think if those two would have a baby, it could be similar to the Barefoots. I find that the LCD-2 is lacking the soundstage, upper mids and treble brightness (laidback) and the T1 is lacking a lot of bass (laidback from the bass).

LCD-2 bass (with even deeper subs) + T1 soundstage and mids/treble detail = My dream headphones! 
regular_smile .gif

I find that all headphones I´ve tried are always missing something. Usually they lack the bass or the treble. With the Barefoots I can hear everything. Bass, mids, treble, incredible detail, it´s all there, but with headphones this is never the case. Of course I haven´t tried everything so I´m looking for suggestions.

So is there headphones out there that will cover the "full range" like full-range studio monitors such as the Barefoots?

Use an EQ with your T1 to dail in more sub bass?

Users who are viewing this thread