Headphones to end it all so i can get back to enjoying the music!
Aug 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Josh05

Head-Fier
Before i brought my first set of headphones it was much easier to be content. I went out and brought my first decent HiFi and loved it, knowing how much it would cost to get a good significant upgrade i knew i would have it for a long time before upgrading. Headphones on the other hand are much cheaper to achieve high end sound and after much reading i cant stop thinking about two sets of cans that will hopefully make me content! The Audeze LCD-2 or LCD-3. Within the last 6 months I've gone from SR80i, SR225i, Q701 and finally HE-400 respectively.

After a lot of reading, i think the Audeze cans have the signature I'm after. At the moment my HE-400 are by far my favorite cans, I love the way they are much smoother than the Q701 yet still have plenty of detail and the highs don't fatigue me like on Q701. Would i be right in thinking that the Audeze headphones would give me more resolution, detail etc? what really made me look to them was the way some describe them to be as close as you can get to real life, and the way one reviewer mentioned that they lack resonances that trick our brains into knowing were listening to a recording?

I would be using my Rega DAC and Woo WA6 with them, however in saying that, no doubt the amp and DAC will be upgraded at some point down the track. I would really appreciate if anyone can give me some advice or even let me know their reasons for liking the Audeze cans as it will hopefully help me get a better idea of whether they are for me or not.

Thanks

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
I would go with the LCD-3 for your home system and the Philips Cityscape Downtown for portable use.

Thanks, would be interested to know what you particularly like about the Audeze sound?

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 19
Heya,

I think you've read some glowing reviews of the LCD series. There's a lot of love for them. But like many gorgeous sounding headphones, comfort is not always there for you. Grado, for example. After spending a lot of time with the LCD2 myself, I found that they're not much different from the Hifiman HE500, and not nearly as comfortable. I found the LCD2 to be weird when it came to channels, sound stage and comfort. The weight was on the side of the head, sound stage was very left/right, like in a cone on each side. Great resolution, detail, and extension, but the rest of the headphone left me disappointed.

My point is, audition these things before you buy a high-end. They're not always better. And there's a lot of "good" reviews for them, but very few truly objective reviews for them.

Very best,

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for the detailed reply! Your point about demoing is exactly what has stopped me from buying at the moment, i would have to take a short plane trip to get to any dealers, which i think i will do, i cant blindly spend that much money, although I'm pretty certain i want a planar over a dynamic. Are the HE-500's in the same league as the LCD-2's? in terms of resolution, detail? One thing i have noticed after going from the Q701 to HE-400 is that the HE-400 is more fluid and thicker/fuller sounding, i really like that, i think it makes it sound more natural even if it doesn't have quite the resolution of the Q701. I'll have a look around for some more objective reviews as well, see what people don't like about them. At the end of the day though it will come down to a demo but its still good to get impressions before buying. Thanks :)

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply! Your point about demoing is exactly what has stopped me from buying at the moment, i would have to take a short plane trip to get to any dealers, which i think i will do, i cant blindly spend that much money, although I'm pretty certain i want a planar over a dynamic. Are the HE-500's in the same league as the LCD-2's? in terms of resolution, detail? One thing i have noticed after going from the Q701 to HE-400 is that the HE-400 is more fluid and thicker/fuller sounding, i really like that, i think it makes it sound more natural even if it doesn't have quite the resolution of the Q701. I'll have a look around for some more objective reviews as well, see what people don't like about them. At the end of the day though it will come down to a demo but its still good to get impressions before buying. Thanks :)

Heya,

HE500  & LCD2 are in the same class. Merely slightly different flavors and build/comfort. Both have pros & cons. Just try them for yourself and be the judge, they are more similar than dissimilar. Both also have very similar power requirements, so your current and future setups would be the same regardless for them. Both are excellent values. Again, it comes down to preference. Some prefer the HE500. Some prefer the LCD2. Putting them head to head, I found them very, very similar. The biggest differences I found between them were sound stage presentation, comfort and weight, and brightness (treble).

Very best,

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 19
Check for head-fi meets that may be closer to you.  I've been able to hear both
the LCD-s and HEs at various meets.   

Comfort is hugely important, but no one else can really tell you how a given
headphone is going to fit, clamp, and balance on your head.  

You're looking at some really nice options.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 19
You can take a look at my headphone list and know that the LCD-3 is probably my favorite sounding headphone below $2000.  It is just too uncomfortable for me to wear to justify the cost.

It is super quick, excels in the midrange, and pleasantly rolled off in the treble.  It measures and sounds like a very neutral headphone and comparing it to the myriad headphones that I have quickly shows how strong it is.

Some other headphones and setups that give it a run for its money:

1.)  HD650 driven by the WA3

2.)  STAX SR-009 driven by the Blue Hawaii Special Edition

To my ears you have to go one of those routes to get the performance the LCD-3 offers out of a decent amp like the BUDA.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 19
Thanks guys. When i get the chance i think I'll just try as many combinations as i can, even some dynamics as well.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
1.)  HD650 driven by the WA3

2.)  STAX SR-009 driven by the Blue Hawaii Special Edition

To my ears you have to go one of those routes to get the performance the LCD-3 offers out of a decent amp like the BUDA.

Really appreciate these kind of recommendations:  headphone + specific amp.  

Obviously HD650+WA3  is very different experience from you'd get from HD650 + iPod. :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 19
I was actually pretty stunned with Tyll let me listen to the SR-009 vis BHSE and then immediately go to the WA3 and HD600/650.  They were similar enough for me to fully respect the HD600/650 in a way I have never done so before.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 19
LCD-3 over LCD-2 in pretty much every way minus bass slam. Although LCD-3's slam is still quite nice. Also, LCD-3 has very nice sub bass. Reminds me of the Denon's with some dubstep. Aside that, LCD-3 all the way, including comfort. I actually prefer the LCD-2/3 over my Hifiman HE-500 for comfort.

In the best situation, I'd personally go for LCD-3 and HE-500/HE-6. Also, like me you can test out by getting both HE-500 and a LCD-2. These are both excellent values. Get used to both their sound and listen for a few months and then you can choose to upgrade whichever one you have more of an interest in. I ended up liking the LCD-2 more, so sold the LCD-2 and HE-500 to get the LCD-3.

Also, both Audeze and Hifiman have different signatures which take some time to get used to. Although each is very, very enjoyable. For example, if you get used to Hifiman's, then the Audeze's will seem boring at first for treble. On the other hand, when you get used to Audeze, the Hifiman can seem over energetic and unnecessary.

Pretty much every bass aspect is better on the Audeze. Vocals I find better on the LCD-2/3 over the Hifiman. HE-500 is wider, lacks depth and is excellent in treble and imaging. Very airy and speaker like. I'd say get both 
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
LCD-3 over LCD-2 in pretty much every way minus bass slam. Although LCD-3's slam is still quite nice. Also, LCD-3 has very nice sub bass. Reminds me of the Denon's with some dubstep. Aside that, LCD-3 all the way, including comfort. I actually prefer the LCD-2/3 over my Hifiman HE-500 for comfort.

In the best situation, I'd personally go for LCD-3 and HE-500/HE-6. Also, like me you can test out by getting both HE-500 and a LCD-2. These are both excellent values. Get used to both their sound and listen for a few months and then you can choose to upgrade whichever one you have more of an interest in. I ended up liking the LCD-2 more, so sold the LCD-2 and HE-500 to get the LCD-3.

Also, both Audeze and Hifiman have different signatures which take some time to get used to. Although each is very, very enjoyable. For example, if you get used to Hifiman's, then the Audeze's will seem boring at first for treble. On the other hand, when you get used to Audeze, the Hifiman can seem over energetic and unnecessary.

Pretty much every bass aspect is better on the Audeze. Vocals I find better on the LCD-2/3 over the Hifiman. HE-500 is wider, lacks depth and is excellent in treble and imaging. Very airy and speaker like. I'd say get both 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info! If i were to buy blind i would probably get an LCD-2 to see what i think but I'm going to demo before i buy. I'm looking heaps forward to it as I haven't heard any headphones more high end than what i own
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back