Headphones to compliment Nuforce HDP
Sep 25, 2011 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

kitaraville

New Head-Fier
It all reads in the description. I basically want open or semi-open headphones wich would have a good synergy with the hdp(wich i havent infact bought yet).  My price range is up to 300€ wich values a little below 400usd.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 27
To add possible choices; its possible for me to get Q701 for 250$(ive heard these unamped and i rly like the sound signature), sennheiser hd600 for 350$, beyerdynamics dt990 pro for 180$.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 27
The Sennheiser HD598 also love the icon HDP and this one can be bought for 180 US if you search a bit. (MSRP 250).

My Ultrasone Pro750 also like the HDP a lot.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 27
If i were to buy those headphones i wouldn't even be considering nuforce hdp for them, something smaller and most importantly cheaper would do the same trick,maybe a udac2 or fiio7, no? So im not buying headphones that can be basically driven by an ipod close to their maximum potential, when by adding a few dollars or making a better choice of equipment i could get something phenomenal in comparison to HD598 driven by HDP.

Quote:
The Sennheiser HD598 also love the icon HDP and this one can be bought for 180 US if you search a bit. (MSRP 250).

My Ultrasone Pro750 also like the HDP a lot.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 27
^^ From your dt990 price, it sounds like beyer is quite a lot cheaper for u than the senns or akgs, so I would recommend the dt880 250ohm

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 27

Quote:
Ordered akg's k601s will take one week to arrive, will post initial impressions.

Sorry I'm just catching your thread now.  You may find that combination a bit dry.  The HDP is an amazing DAC/Amp, but I found it favored the sound signature of a Sennheiser or Ultrasone headphone better than AKG.  The HDP is a wonderful unit.  If you don't like the sound signature, try a different set of headphones, but keep the HDP.  I do regret selling mine.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 27

Quote:
If i were to buy those headphones i wouldn't even be considering nuforce hdp for them, something smaller and most importantly cheaper would do the same trick,maybe a udac2 or fiio7, no? So im not buying headphones that can be basically driven by an ipod close to their maximum potential, when by adding a few dollars or making a better choice of equipment i could get something phenomenal in comparison to HD598 driven by HDP.

You would be surprised what a good DAC/Amp can get out of even cheaper headphones. I am using the Schiit Valhalla with the Ultrasone Pro 750 (MSRP $429 but can be found for $300 and less) and I am also using Superlux headphones for 40 Euros with the setup. Price is not always a indicator of sound quality, my friend.

I listened to the HD600 and decided to go with the HD598, I like it just better. But I might upgrade soon to the HD800, let's see.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
Sorry I'm just catching your thread now.  You may find that combination a bit dry.  The HDP is an amazing DAC/Amp, but I found it favored the sound signature of a Sennheiser or Ultrasone headphone better than AKG.  The HDP is a wonderful unit.  If you don't like the sound signature, try a different set of headphones, but keep the HDP.  I do regret selling mine.

Hey Soulsyde,

my impression exactly. icon HDP loves the Ultrasones and Senns. I am currently using the HDP as a DAC/pre-amp (via line-out) for the Asgard and the Valhalla, which opens up some new perspectives... like it very much so far.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 27
Hey Soulsyde,

my impression exactly. icon HDP loves the Ultrasones and Senns. I am currently using the HDP as a DAC/pre-amp (via line-out) for the Asgard and the Valhalla, which opens up some new perspectives... like it very much so far.

For that reason alone, I wish I still had my HDP so I could try is as a dedicated DAC. It was a nice DAC/Amp combo, but I've since heard that it performs better as a DAC connected to a quality amp.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #13 of 27
I certainly believe your views to be correct considering the synergy between senns and ultrasones. Still this is so far the best audio setup i have heard/owned and can say that I'm extremely satisfied, i thought about getting some closed ultrasones next,, they dont make any opens ones, do they?  btw thanks for the feedback. k601s have been, as it stands , been burned in for approximately 30hours and the bass is rly nice, precise. Classic and any music in general with ephasis on vocals/mids is marvelous(Marillion,,Paco de Lucia,Yes ,Rodrigo y Gabriela etc..)

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
I certainly believe your views to be correct considering the synergy between senns and ultrasones. Still this is so far the best audio setup i have heard/owned and can say that I'm extremely satisfied, i thought about getting some closed ultrasones next,, they dont make any opens ones, do they?

http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/pro-2900.html

They're supposed to be amazing.  Unfortunately, I haven't tried them.  For some impressions of the Pro 2900 or to ask questions to 2900 owners try this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569107/ultrasone-fan-club-roll-call

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 27
Does anyone knows an inexpensive integrated DAC/Amp to suggest for a friend who just bought (my) AKG K702? He is just starting in this hobby and is not eager to buy, match and setup separate components, so it would be far easier for me to recommend a single purchase. I was thinking about the NuForce HDP (which is such a nice piece of gear), but this thread discouraged me from this idea..
tks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back