Headphones to buy for graduation.
Jun 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7
So graduation is around the corner and I am going to be getting money from my family. I am thinking about buying a Valhalla and maybe a new pair of headphones. If I do and have like an extra 700+ dollars to just throw around. I am going to get the T90s but the likelyhood that, that will happen is little to none. So I was thinking about the Hifiman Series. The HE-400 and the HE-4 and I was wondering is the HE-4 worth the extra 50 dollars. And if anyone has a comparison between those the the new SRH1440. Thanks in advance. Will take recommendations for other headphone in the 400-500 dollar range. And the music I listen to is death metal, heavy metal and progressive and some Japanese vocalist such as Lisa and lia.

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 7
Just to throw it out there - Valhalla is an OTL amplifier and not a perfect bedmate for the low impedance/low sensitivity cans you're looking at (and Schiit also will probably tell you this much); with OTL amplifiers you usually want to look at higher Z cans like the HD 600 or DT880-600. My best advice would be to figure out what kind of headphones you'd like, based on your preferences/tastes, and then find an appropriate amplifier to pair with them. If you're going to use that amplifier with a whole heap of other headphones, you'll have to keep that in mind as well.

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 7
The he400 is a good bet and just a great all around hp. Not to picky about amping either. 

What do you currently have for amp/dac?

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 7
I don't have a full size amp. Which is weird considering I have the 600 ohm version of the 880s I have heard them with an amp, schiits very own Asgard, and I liked that I was fully driven. I want to try tubes and the Valhalla looked like a good starting point. Do you know show it compares to the 1440?

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 7
I don't have a full size amp. Which is weird considering I have the 600 ohm version of the 880s I have heard them with an amp, schiits very own Asgard, and I liked that I was fully driven. I want to try tubes and the Valhalla looked like a good starting point. Do you know show it compares to the 1440?

The Valhalla would be fine for your Beyers, but it is not a good pick for Low Z cans. If you want to drive anything under the sun, look at a hybrid - like the Lyr, or EF-5, or something along those lines. Or get an OTC, like the WA6.

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Well the Valhalla can power the hifimans and the srh1440s without exploding them. I am not planning on using them As only home use headphones. I currently use my DT880s as my portable headphone. I wanted to know out of the three is the best bet for my music taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back