Headphones that have a similar sound signature to LCD 3?
Feb 10, 2017 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Montecristo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have a pair of LCD 3's that are awesome (but a bit heavy) and unfortunately, I use them mostly without music. As much as I love these things, I find myself not being able to justify the hefty price tag. So, are there similar headphones to LCD 3 that are still considered summit fi, or very high quality? I mainly listen to electronic/pop/rock. Thanks guys!

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 17
Senn HD650

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 17
You can check the Focal Elear.
Maybe Nighthawks at a lower price point.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 17
  Hello all,

I have a pair of LCD 3's that are awesome (but a bit heavy) and unfortunately, I use them mostly without music. As much as I love these things, I find myself not being able to justify the hefty price tag. So, are there similar headphones to LCD 3 that are still considered summit fi, or very high quality? I mainly listen to electronic/pop/rock. Thanks guys!

With all due respect you are comparing $400 headphones to $2k headphones. I would prefer to stay near summit fi range, thank you for your suggestion. 

When you say you cannot "justify the hefty price tag" that implies you want something less expensive w/ a similar sound,which the HD650 fits.

Frankly I dont understand why anyone wants "summit-fi" for non music applications,but its your money.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 17
Well it was $2k so I would be comfortable looking for around $1k or a bit more. To answer your question, I still listen to music just not as much and when I do I would like to enjoy that music with summit fi level quality, just not this high. Thank you.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 17
I wasnt impressed with The Elear at CanJam NYC,nothing really stood out about its presentation to my ears,but YMMV.

I liked both of the new ZMF headphones,Eikon and Atticus,both of which are priced at close to,or above 1k usd....Atticus has insane bass punch and forward mids,very fun sounding,and I will be moving my LCD-2s to get a pair.

Eikon seems more neutral,and apparently has thump to it as well,but it didnt sound like it to my ears after hearing the Atticus first. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 17

I would prefer to stay in the summit fi range so I will most likely omit Nighthawks, but I would definitely try them if I had the chance. 

How would you say the Focal Elears are?

You can read about them here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone

The Elear is a dynamic headphone with very little distortion, punchy bass and relatively intimate soundstage like the LCD-3

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 17
  I wasnt impressed with The Elear at CanJam NYC,nothing really stood out about its presentation to my ears,but YMMV.

I liked both of the new ZMF headphones,Eikon and Atticus,both of which are priced at close to,or above 1k usd....Atticus has insane bass punch and forward mids,very fun sounding,and I will be moving my LCD-2s to get a pair.

Eikon seems more neutral,and apparently has thump to it as well,but it didnt sound like it to my ears after hearing the Atticus first. 

Now just to find somewhere that I can test them out...

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 17

You can read about them here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone

The Elear is a dynamic headphone with very little distortion, punchy bass and relatively intimate soundstage like the LCD-3

Thank you for your suggestion. How are the vocals/highs?

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 17
More comfortable, some of the best midrange I ever heard, vocals are phenomenal , lots of reasons. But it is very conducive to finding synergy with amp/dac with the 650 to get them to where they can go.

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 17
Aye, the comfort on the LCD 3's are...lacking. But surely the 650's can't compete with the lush mid range that audeze offers no? Not to mention the bass... I can see the 650 beating them on the highs/vocals though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back