Headphones that can make you cry
Jul 4, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #17 of 50
And then when a driver dies on you, or when you realize how cheap and smelly the pads/headband are, or when you notice wear on the connectors, or when you notice how it's barely any better than the HE1000 v2 for twice the price, or when you realize it still loses to the Stax SR-009S.

I returned mine due to build quality compared for the price. That being said, Arnold, they're still the best HPs I've heard...

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #18 of 50
I returned mine due to build quality compared for the price. That being said, Arnold, they're still the best HPs I've heard...

Yeah, my post was mostly tongue in cheek and I haven't had a chance to listen to the Susvara yet. But the build quality shortcomings I know are real.

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #19 of 50
Listening to Focal Clears at the moment with an Auralic Taurus MKII. It's getting me damn close to crying :gs1000smile:. Listening to Son Seals at the moment who my wife and I saw when we first started dating. Sad he is gone now.

I'd like to hear the Clears at some point but I really disliked their Elear a lot and it put me off the focal brand. Although I realize clear can sound very different than elear...

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #20 of 50
Never cried from what I can recall, but I've found myself getting a little choked up while listening to Bon Scott on a set of cans that sizzle and pop. Like to the point I can picture him performing live with all that charisma, energy and emotion that made him forever the best front man in rock - real rock. Especially while I'm looking around at all the art, posters and memorabilia surrounding me of him. The guy was definitely a "Live Wire". RIP buddy, Ride On

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #21 of 50
Stax SR-Lambda NB. Beautiful, intimate. Still manages to feel special on plenty of occasions, even though I picked them up many many times.
Not sure how it manages to do that as opposed to other ones, but the overall tonal balance, smoothness, and the way they present voices may have to do something with it.

Sony Qualia 010 is kind of the opposite. Not euphoric, but very dynamic, expansive, visceral.

Sennheiser HE90 not sure I will hear a pair of headphones sounding more special than these. Ever.
Feels a little bit like if they went to the same school as the NB Lambdas, only they got through PhD.

It is going to be different for everyone.

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #22 of 50
Emotional yes. I've been going thru my collection - very large, and I'm of the opinion that my used HiFiMan HE-500's are more revealing and correct than all of the great speakers I've owned:

DQ 10 w/ ribbons
Maggie MG-I
ProAc EBS
Duettas
ML CLS IIz
Verity Parsifal

I'm an addict for female singers - and these deliver in spades (even singers I've dismissed as light weight or uninteresting previously), and on everything else. HE-6's are supposed to be better

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #23 of 50
Emotional yes. I've been going thru my collection - very large, and I'm of the opinion that my used HiFiMan HE-500's are more revealing and correct than all of the great speakers I've owned:

DQ 10 w/ ribbons
Maggie MG-I
ProAc EBS
Duettas
ML CLS IIz
Verity Parsifal

I'm an addict for female singers - and these deliver in spades (even singers I've dismissed as light weight or uninteresting previously), and on everything else. HE-6's are supposed to be better

HE-6 has a brighter, more forward treble presentation, although mods like the LFF Code-6 bring that back down to earth. I am actually selling my Code-6 if you're interested.

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #24 of 50
HE-6 has a brighter, more forward treble presentation, although mods like the LFF Code-6 bring that back down to earth. I am actually selling my Code-6 if you're interested.

You said you were, I'm not really ready to move, but what's the bottom line?

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #25 of 50
3133E929-4D51-4385-BD38-D52DE14A72C3.jpeg

Happened to me once while hearing Debussy played live, but never on headphones. I would also look at your emotional state prior to listening as a reaction like that is normally a combination of things and not just the headphone. Cheers!

Jul 7, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #29 of 50
iSine20 w/ Cipher v2 literally made my friend cry when he heard stairway on them. In my experience, it’s pretty hard to surpass this sound for less than $2K on a desktop rig. Really really hard.

Jul 7, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #30 of 50

DQ 10 w/ ribbons
Maggie MG-I
ProAc EBS
Duettas
ML CLS IIz
Verity Parsifal

Couldn't agree more on the HE-500, it is also one of my absolute favorite cans and represents (in my opinion) one of the greatest dollar for dollar headphones available to buy today. Hifiman knocked it out of the ballpark early on in their headphone game, this is exceptional paired with a good amp.

I have both HE-500 and HE-6 now. The HE-500 is indeed a warmer headphone, whereas the HE-6 is brighter, but it is gorgeous for transparency and resolution/definition. My love of the HE-500 prompted purchase of the HE-6. These are the headphones that make high end audio available to an everyday Joe like myself.

They sound so open, like speakers, where so many headphones give you that "headphone" sound.

It's a real testament to their quality that you rate them above all those speakers.

Curious - do you use velour pads on your HE-500?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back