Headphones + sweat?
Oct 24, 2008 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

therock003

100+ Head-Fier
How do headphones react on the presence of sweat?Are they affected by it?Cause i got a pair of shure se 530 and 'm wondering if its any good to use them on workouts or when i plan on running.

I usually sea atheletes wearing over the head headphones on their workout.

So is it really a good idea to use IEMs when working out and sweating?

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 15
No-unless you can get some earphones that are sweat-proof (eg. Sony MDR-AS,Sennheiser OMX/ MX sport)

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 15
Is there really danger of sweat from the head area to enter the headphones driver and mess up the circuitry?

What kind of heads qualify for strenuous activity?

You already mentioned some of them,but a need some kind of list or recommendation so s to get both sound quality along with water/sweat resistance.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 15
Wow c'mon... I swear I remember Shure recommending their entire line for use while working out etc... although I can't exactly site my sources.

Getting sweat down the nozzle is probably not a good thing, though. Your deep ear doesn't sweat much... so you can probably pretty well avoid that by leaving them in.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by therock003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there really danger of sweat from the head area to enter the headphones driver and mess up the circuitry?

What kind of heads qualify for strenuous activity?

You already mentioned some of them,but a need some kind of list or recommendation so s to get both sound quality along with water/sweat resistance.

pure water doesn't do anything to the phones, they can just dry out and be alright

but any electrolytes in the water (and theres a TON in sweat) can screw up both the armature and the copper cable

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 15
I was in the gym during summer once and everyone was sweating like crazy. There was this guy who had some headphones on while on the treadmil suddenly collapsed, was flung off the threadmill and started having spasms.

They said later it was due to a malfunction with his headphones caused by all his sweat!

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 15
Ah i joke..i doubt that was even funny but i've always been curious as to whether something like that has actually happened before..

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in the gym during summer once and everyone was sweating like crazy. There was this guy who had some headphones on while on the treadmil suddenly collapsed, was flung off the threadmill and started having spasms.

They said later it was due to a malfunction with his headphones caused by all his sweat!

WAIT?!? What?! So did this occur or what.. cause I laugh nonetheless
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 15
Ok guys so i come back with this sweat combatant topic i have initialised. So far i refuse to put my expensive shureup to the test so i intend to get a different set of headphones for this specific purpose.

I'm between some models of the sport category of sennheiser

Sennheiser Worldwide - Sport, Jogging, neckband headphones, PMX 80 Sport II -

PMX 70 sport
PMX 80 sport II
and MX 80 sport II

and then there's the SURGE series from H2O Audio

H2O Audio -- Waterproof Your iPod » Surge™ Bass Amplified Waterproof Headphones

Anybody got any idea about quality and how they differ?I dont want to buy them just because they're fancy and they have a name.

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 15
I had a pair of Shure E3's that went out due to sweat getting in. I thought that I fried them, but once they dried out they were fine. Still have 'em. In the winter months I do a lot of my bike training indoors - which includes lots of sweating. I've been using my etys with triple flanges, and haven't had a problem yet. I am conscious of the sweat dripping around my ears and make sure I keep them dry. My recommendation though: don't use high-end iems when exercising.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 15
Well that's what i said above. But anyway the reason i bumped this topic is in order to get specific information about the models i requested on post #11

Quote:

PMX 70 sport
PMX 80 sport II
and MX 80 sport II

and then there's the SURGE series from H2O Audio

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 15
If you don't care TOO much about SQ, just put a little bit of foam in the IEM's tip!
Catches all the sweat, and if it gets clogged, it'll just be the foam that soaked up all the sweat
smily_headphones1.gif

Replace it and you're good to go!

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #15 of 15
If these companies make you spend hundreds for IEM's, wouldn't they ensure that they can withstand any amount of abuse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back