Headphones suitable for a giant head and giant ears
Jul 15, 2011 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bang321

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been looking for a new set of headphones that are suitable for my hulk head and hulk ears. I realize that many of people are recommending AKG 701/702s, Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880s, Audio Technica AD700/AD900s, Sony CD-3ks and a few others. There really aren't places around me that I'm aware of that I can demo headphones so that I can tell if they are comfortable or not. My current set of headphones are Icemat Siberia's which I got for 15 bucks after rebate. Although the headband is extremely comfortable, the ear padding is too small for my ears. They become uncomfortable after a few minutes and only become bearable after my ears become numb. Haha. My ears are ALWAYS sore after I take them off. I was hoping that I could get some help from all of you guys in here to help me pic out a new set of cans. 

Although odd, I've included a picture of my ears in relation to a credit card. It would be nice if I could have my ears completely covered by the headphones so that the padding isn't pushing on them. I'm not sure if that's even possible. I'm currently thinking about Sennheiser HD558s or HD598s because the elliptical shape seems to more suit my ears. I'm just unsure if my ears will fit in them. I realize that the HD600's and HD650's are slightly larger than the 558's and 598's, but they are out of my price range. I'm hoping to spend less than $250 if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My Ears in relation to a credit card and in relation to my current set of headphones

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 11
You should probably toss in your usual listening genres,  as most of those you mentioned are very comfortable even with larger ears.

I wouldn't worry about the 558/598s.  I imagine the size has stayed the same relative to the 555s/595s,  which have lots of space under the pads for your ears.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 11
I listen to a pretty eclectic mix of music. Mostly mainstream stuff. Rap and R&B, alternative, pop and some trance thrown in there. I'm just concerned about blowing tons of cash on an expensive set of headphones and being disappointed. I may have to force myself to walk into a bestbuy and try some Sennheisers. They are they only retailer that I'm aware of that carries them and offer a return policy. Everything else seems to only be available online.

I was wondering if anyone with the AKG 701/702's, Sennheiser 558/598, Audio Technica AD700/900 would mind taking a picture of their ear cups with a credit card (please block out your info please) placed next to them so I could compare sizes. That would be extremely helpful. Once again, any help would be great. Thanks

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 11
Wow you do have big ears. Not sure there exists a headphone that will go all the way around those. I have three circumaural (at least for normal people 
wink.gif
) headphones, here are pictures of all of them with a credit card:

HD600

LCD2

SR007

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 11
Oh geeze! From what you're showing, there doesn't seem to exist a pair of circumaurals that... circumaurulate (I know, making up words) my ears. The HD600s are even bigger than the HD598s I was looking at. It looks like I may have to change my quest from finding the largest headphones to the softest/most plush. I had thought the HD600/650's may be the largest headphones according to this picture from headfonia. Thanks for all your help! Your pictures really helped put the sizing of those headphones into perspective.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Oh geeze! From what you're showing, there doesn't seem to exist a pair of circumaurals that... circumaurulate (I know, making up words) my ears. 

I don't think that's true.  For the Sennheisers your ears actually fit under the cushion and the cushion fits against your head.  There's a considerable amount of room not being accounted for by simply looking at the pad.  I don't have my HD600s on hand,  but here's pic using some 555s:

If it wasn't for the squared corners it would fit the entire card just fine.  There is a lot of room in here.  I also have considerably large ears, so I know why you're worrying.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
I don't think that's true.  For the Sennheisers your ears actually fit under the cushion and the cushion fits against your head.  There's a considerable amount of room not being accounted for by simply looking at the pad.  I don't have my HD600s on hand,  but here's pic using some 555s:

If it wasn't for the squared corners it would fit the entire card just fine.  There is a lot of room in here.  I also have considerably large ears, so I know why you're worrying.

Thanks! I think I may try my luck with the Sennheisers then. They seem to be the only ones that I can get locally and return if they don't work out. It seems that at least vertically, they are larger than the Beyers, AKGs, or Audio Technicas. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back