Headphones + Subwoofer??
Feb 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #17 of 31
hi guys im just wondering if you can help me out. im trying to get a sub from craigslist and  im just wondering  which is the best bet to get this is my thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/539981/which-subwoofer-should-i-get#post_7281479      thanks a lot!

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #18 of 31
You guys just had to give me ideas, didn't you? I couldn't be left alone enjoying my current setup as it is, nooo, now I have another audio itch. You devils!
biggrin.gif

Btw, any further news about the whole crazy sub suit concept?

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #19 of 31
ooo Nothing better than 3 12 inch subs :)

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #22 of 31
I am happy to find someone in the world has had the same idea as me because I thought it was pretty silly. I still think it is but, at least I know I'm not alone anymore.

I actually stumbled on this same idea when comparing headphones/speakers and having them both on at the same time. The idea seemed to be a great compromise between my love of speakers (mostly for the bass and superior presence) and headphones with their more easily achievable and affordable clarity and detailing. My main beef with headphones is that they can never match the presence of a sub-woofer in the bass reproduction department, an aspect which I sorely miss when listening to headphones. My opinion, which seems to align with the majority's, is that bass reproduction on a headphone never gets as satisfyingly visceral as it can on a sub-woofer, and certain genres of music, such as most electronic-based music, always lack the impact of the whole low-frequency dimension sub-woofers can provide.

If privacy were not an issue, I would listen to nice open-backed headphones with just the sub-woofer thumping away. It would look really silly, but the combination of clarity in the mids and highs reproduced by the headphones along with the palpable bass by the sub-woofer, I think, would translate into a very fun listening experience.

Unfortunately I only have a pair of Grados 80is right now which could work but I never tried them with this idea yet. It probably wouldn't be as nice as I am imagining it to be in my head, considering the Grados are not as neutral as I would like (I really noticed their unique coloration after walking past a stranger and asking him if I could try out his DT990s LOL). However, I am saving up for a Stax SR-202 (supposedly a very neutral and accurate headphone, while lacking in the bass department) to try this idea out. :p

Has anyone else ever thought of this headphones + subwoofer idea and/or tried it? What was it like?

Also, If anyone has any experience with electrostatics, could he/she tell me just how "bad" the bass reproduction is on an electrostatic compared to a Grado 80i or similar dynamic pair of headphones? I have only read things on forums which scare me due to how smack electrostatics get concerning bass, although I know there is a lot of bias floating around. I would like to see a more comprehensive and objective opinion from someone.

Happy listening!

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
Also, If anyone has any experience with electrostatics, could he/she tell me just how "bad" the bass reproduction is on an electrostatic compared to a Grado 80i or similar dynamic pair of headphones? I have only read things on forums which scare me due to how smack electrostatics get concerning bass, although I know there is a lot of bias floating around. I would like to see a more comprehensive and objective opinion from someone.

You guys aren't alone. I thought of this myself as the only way to get "proper" bass with headphones. Only thing is, I don't want to irritate everyone else in the house with it (to say nothing of the added expense).

I don't consider electrostatic bass "bad", just different. Less impactful (no, NOT punchless, but not head-rattling, either), but still audible across the spectrum. Note that I am NOT a basshead, mostly due to the fact that I happen to prefer music genres that aren't especially bassy, and when it comes to gaming, I'm more concerned about knowing where crucial sounds like gunshots and footsteps are coming from.

However, there's this Headphiles forum review that elaborates on the subject:

Quote:
First thing I have to tell you. If you are, like me, coming from a dynamic background you have to leave your preconceived notion of presentation of bass behind. The stax system does not push air into your ear canal, in fact it presents it just outside your ear giving a slightly brighter presentation, fantastic detail and attack but perhaps not any bass slam.

Now when I say bass slam I mean oomph not bass itself. This is what I mean - you have to re-educate yourself on how bass is really presented to the listener as more of an extension into the mix to give depth where needed or to emphasize a moment. This means you understand bass is there - in shed loads if I may say so, but not in a slam slam manner, but more in a deep cavernous manner designed to broaden what already is a massive sound stage.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #24 of 31
I would think it would blend better with open backed headphones and probably pretty well since it is not as directional.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #25 of 31
Heh I have this setup.  The rationality behind having a sub, is to feel the bass (instead of hearing it).  If you have open headphones (such as HD600's), you will be able to hear any audible bass from the subwoofer, and if not placed in a acoustically treated room, will degrade the bass quality (my boxy room, sounds boxy un-suprisingly, until the bass is not so much audible as it is felt).

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #26 of 31
Now I'm seriously thinking about trying this now. I just added the Denon AH-D5000 to my setup and I'm thinking this might be the best bang for the buck addition for icing on the cake. While headphone listening isn't mandatory where I live. I listen in my man cave and have a pre out from my Headroom MAX amp and I'm liking the idea more than anything. I have a Polk DSW Pro 500 that I will see how it is and I might pick up another if I like it that much. You guys are great on this site and this has me hoping for audio nirvana.

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 31
Well after trying the subwoofer with headphones I really like the presentation. I think bass shakers would give about 90% of the effect and wouldn't be audible. I am going to check into that further to determine if that is the way to go.

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #29 of 31
You'll need an open set of headphones though, closed-back headphones isolate too well for any significant bass to come through.

They don't though:

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=2881&graphID[1]=1473&graphID[2]=2361&graphID[3]=2231&graphType=6&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

Not at bass frequencies, really. I think where this is most effective is when you have something like dual Hsu STF-1 or dual Hsu STF-2 subwoofers (small cones) with the lowpass turned pretty low, with headphones that are already relatively capable in the low end. The headphones provide the leading edge and the detail, while the quick subwoofers provide the physical impact (which doesn't necessarily arrive to your senses through your ear canal alone) without muddying the sound.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #30 of 31
jerg is right, I poseted the similar thought but others then said that is more of a problem. I did in fact find most of the audible tone was wasted with my Denon 5000 and the impact was what was the benefit. I love these Denon's because they don't need any help with the bass and is why I may go the route of bass shakers then you get everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back