Headphones sub-$400 for Dubstep/EDM/Electro?
Dec 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #47 of 100
Ok I just got the Ultrasone Pro 900's today. Played my first song, and I have to say I am not impressed with the "hissing" sound of the higher notes. It totally ruins the songs I try to listen to. Vocals and sounds are clear as screw though, paired up with clear and good bass. Bass is powerful and punchy. Hopefully my dac/amp will fix this.

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #48 of 100
Quote:
Ok I just got the Ultrasone Pro 900's today. Played my first song, and I have to say I am not impressed with the "hissing" sound of the higher notes. It totally ruins the songs I try to listen to. Vocals and sounds are clear as screw though, paired up with clear and good bass. Bass is powerful and punchy. Hopefully my dac/amp will fix this.

Probably not. The pro 900s are the most sibilant headphone i have ever heard, even amped. If it bothers you that much, maybe you should look into a different headphone.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #50 of 100
No, it's the headphones. The pro 900s are known for being sibilant. I would look into the denon d2ks/d5ks or the v-moda m-100s if you want to return the pro 900s. You could also look into the mad dogs, which is a mod on the fostex tr50p, although i don't really know much on those as i haven't heard them. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #51 of 100
Quote:
Sigh, I might need to return these. Do you recommend any good ones then?

EDIT: listening 2 hours in. Holy sh**, is it a flaw in the driver design?! It's so damn "hissy"

Sounds like you have the same problem I did with them.

My suggestion is to go this route: Return them and get the HE-400's.
Was the best decision I could of made.

I did a little touch up on the two here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/569107/ultrasone-fan-club-roll-call/1530#post_8962182

Good luck.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #53 of 100
Quote:
Sigh, I might need to return these. Do you recommend any good ones then?

EDIT: listening 2 hours in. Holy sh**, is it a flaw in the driver design?! It's so damn "hissy"

Do you believe in burn in? Even I thought the Pro 900's were sibilant for the first 20 hours of listening. Run them through pink noise/your music at slightly higher than listening volume for a day or two before you try them again.

I thought the Denon d2k's aren't closed?

They are technically closed but they also leak a lot of sound from memory.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #54 of 100
Quote:
I thought the Denon d2k's aren't closed?

They are more open than closed. They leak some sound and has no noise isolation whatsoever. There are pros to the Denon design though, mainly soundstage comparable to that of an open back and more bass (typical of a closed can). 

The Denons have quite a bit of subbass that can make the genres you listen to fun. However, I prefer the Mad Dogs by Mr. Speakers, which not only have the advantages of a closed headphone (noise isolation) but also comfort. They have almost as much bass as the Denons, but the bass is tighter and faster as it is a planar magnetic can. In addition, every other part of the frequency response is flat neutral. I found the Denons to be sibilant at times and would only recommend it to someone who is willing to EQ. With EQ, the Denons can be quite good. If you can get the Denons for below $200 AND you're willing to EQ, I would buy it. 

The HE-400, which I have not heard, is another option. But from what I know, the Mad Dogs are more comfortable, cheaper, and has noise isolation (since HE-400 is an open back). Whether one sounds better than the other, from the reviews I've read, is purely preference. The HE-400 has more treble than the Mad Dogs, so it should sound brighter. This may be better for pop genres. I personally like the Mad Dogs for the genres you listen to because of its very dark atmosphere. 

Edit: I do not recommend the Ultrasones. Extremely sibilant is the adjective I would use to describe every Ultrasone I've listened to... they are good for certain bass-heavy  music but anything with treble killed my enjoyment. The Denons have a similar problem but not nearly to the same degree. As for the V-Moda M-100, I think it's preference. If you like their looks, their customizations, and has no problem with mediocre noise isolation, they may be the right can for you. 

Best regards, 

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #55 of 100
I have never experienced burn-in, but I will take your word for it. I'll give it another chance. I'll play it a day nonstop. If it's still sibilant, then I'll return them. So far, I am not impressed with my purchase. The clarity doesnt beat my Ultrasone HFI-780's and I had them for 3 weeks, although the 900's are still clear.

@Voldemort, I dont think dark sounds are good for electronica lol.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #56 of 100
Quote:
I have never experienced burn-in, but I will take your word for it. I'll give it another chance. I'll play it a day nonstop. If it's still sibilant, then I'll return them. So far, I am not impressed with my purchase. The clarity doesnt beat my Ultrasone HFI-780's and I had them for 3 weeks, although the 900's are still clear.

@Voldemort, I dont think dark sounds are good for electronica lol.

You never know until you try 
wink_face.gif
. I didn't realize you already purchased the Ultrasones. No burn-in will change the inherent nature of the sound.. unless we are talking about psychological burn-in. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #57 of 100
Nope, I'm not putting them next to my ear. Since I'm not presenting the noise to my ear, there will be no psychological burn-in. I'm running them extremely loud too. I'm just gonna run them overnight, maybe 24 hours. Rezel claims that burn-in works, but we'll see. :)

EDIT: There are Denon d2k's going for 500 bucks U.S. on Amazon. They're imported from Japan. Worth it or no? :-/

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #58 of 100
Quote:
Nope, I'm not putting them next to my ear. Since I'm not presenting the noise to my ear, there will be no psychological burn-in. I'm running them extremely loud too. I'm just gonna run them overnight, maybe 24 hours. Rezel claims that burn-in works, but we'll see. :)

EDIT: There are Denon d2k's going for 500 bucks U.S. on Amazon. They're imported from Japan. Worth it or no? :-/

No they are not worth $500... I wouldn't buy even the D7000 at that price. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #59 of 100
Quote:

That's a huge ripoff. D2000s go for $200-300.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #60 of 100
Thanks. I won't be buying them then.

Right now, I'm so discouraged from buying another expensive set of cans. The Ultrasone Pro 900's almost killed my love for music. They sound so terrible. I'm sorry if I'm hurting the feelings of any Ultrasone fanboys, but these cans are not for me. I just can't see how people stand the hissing sound when it tries to put out the sharp sounds. Right now, I'm going to stay away from buying another headphone. I thought $295 for headphones would bring out the hidden beauty of music. They did not. Sorry guys, I'm just so afraid of listening to music now. I'm doubting anything will help me revitalize my craving for good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back