Headphones sub-$400 for Dubstep/EDM/Electro?
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #32 of 100
Ok, sorry for double posting. I've decided to go with the Ultrasone Pro 900's and they will arrive in a few days. I'll probably do a mini-review on them once I listen to them out of the box + after burn in. Will they benefit much from an amp/dac? They're 40 ohms. If so, what sub-$100 amp/dac can I get to bring out it's fullest? I'm already running headphones out of an ASUS Xonar U3 on my laptop.

EDIT: I need a portable one. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #33 of 100
Quote:
Ok, sorry for double posting. I've decided to go with the Ultrasone Pro 900's and they will arrive in a few days. I'll probably do a mini-review on them once I listen to them out of the box + after burn in. Will they benefit much from an amp/dac? They're 40 ohms. If so, what sub-$100 amp/dac can I get to bring out it's fullest? I'm already running headphones out of an ASUS Xonar U3 on my laptop.

EDIT: I need a portable one. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

FiiO E07K or if you can afford it FiiO E17

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #34 of 100
I'm thinkin of a FiiO, but I don't know how much it will benefit my setup. I'm already using an ASUS Xonar U3 USB sound card. It has a built-in amp, but I want to know how much it will change the sound quality if I get a new amp/dac. If I get a small difference in sound quality, I don't want to drop 100 bucks on a new amp/dac. It's 40 ohms, so it's pretty efficient right?

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #35 of 100
Quote:
I'm thinkin of a FiiO, but I don't know how much it will benefit my setup. I'm already using an ASUS Xonar U3 USB sound card. It has a built-in amp, but I want to know how much it will change the sound quality if I get a new amp/dac. If I get a small difference in sound quality, I don't want to drop 100 bucks on a new amp/dac. It's 40 ohms, so it's pretty efficient right?

Well since you said its portable I assumed you wanted it to work with a MP3 player and such.

If its only for laptops, then you can get the FiiO E10 (E10 is better then the E7/E07K) for a cheaper price then the ones I mentioned before, but you wouldn't be able to use them with MP3 players/Phones.

And yes, the difference would be noticeable. I am able to notice the difference between my Xonar DG and FiiO E10 easily, so you shouldn't have a problem with that since your using a U3.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #36 of 100
e10 is better than the e7, and the e17 is the best one. I'm assuming that bigger number = better? haha

and yea, i'm using my laptop for music. it has over 500 gigs of music so ipod won't work. sorry I forgot to tell you that.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #37 of 100
I'll recommend these since no one else has... wait for it...
V-Moda M-100
Before anyone bashes me, I haven't tried the Hifiman HE400 or the Mad Dogs, so this is only going off of headphones I've used. In my humble opinion, these are the ultimate cans for EDM. Yes, they are closed-back, but the soundstage is astonishingly wide for closed-back headphones. While detail isn't their specialty, I'm still discovering new details in EDM tracks that I didn't notice before on my Beyers or my Audio Technicas. The sonic range is so smooth, they aren't the best for classical, but almost every kind of sound combination blends and rolls so smoothly. The bass is the perfect ratio of thump to depth. The highs get rolled off at the top, but they aren't harsh.  Vocals seem a bit recessed, but not so much that vocals in trance aren't respected. These headphones will keep you banging to any dubstep you throw at it. Each little beep in tech house is something to get excited about when wearing these.
Songs I've been particularly impressed by with these:

Like Home - Nervo and Nicky Romero
Fade into Darkness - Avicii
100% in the B**** - Porter Robinson

Glitch-hop is the only EDM sub-genre that I haven't been blown away by with these, but it's not that they do glitch-hop poorly, just not as amazingly as the M100s do other EDM sub-genres. Alrighty, everyone else recommended good headphones too. Take a look at everything we head-fi'ers have thrown at you and make a decision on your own. If you have any artist you're particularly fond of, let me know and I can tell you what I think!
/endrant

P.S. They also look so gosh darn smexy, and you can get custom shields for them too. Check out mine:

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #38 of 100
Quote:
e10 is better than the e7, and the e17 is the best one. I'm assuming that bigger number = better? haha

and yea, i'm using my laptop for music. it has over 500 gigs of music so ipod won't work. sorry I forgot to tell you that.

Not always the case in bigger number = better, but in the 3 listed yes.

(Lower Quality)E7 ---> E07K ---> E10 ---> E17(Higher quality)

The E10 though is the cheapest out of those, which is why I recommended you get it. Really good price --> quality ratio. And does give a noticeable difference in sound quality.

It's also very portable so would be fine for your laptop.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #40 of 100
Quote:
I'll recommend these since no one else has... wait for it...
V-Moda M-100
Before anyone bashes me, I haven't tried the Hifiman HE400 or the Mad Dogs, so this is only going off of headphones I've used. In my humble opinion, these are the ultimate cans for EDM. 

What cans have you tried?

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #42 of 100
Quote:
HOw much better is the e17 compared to the e10? I heard people say the e17 is a slightly warmer amp and helps with the Ultrasone's sharp trebles. Not sure about the e10's though.

That I wouldn't know, but I did have Ultrasone Pro 900's briefly before I returned them and it sounded fine to me using my E10.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #43 of 100
Quote:

What cans have you tried?

Just going off bass-heavy cans, the Ultrasones mentioned above, Denon D1001 and D2k, CAL!, Beyer DT range, AT M50s, V-Moda M-100, and *shudder* Beats. Unfortunately not the Fostex T50rp yet!

Quote:
Your avatar has the S-word in it. I don't trust you. o_O

Haha, that was from a 12th Planet concert I was at :p TRUST MEH

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #44 of 100
Ok guys, here's an update: I have ordered the FiiO E10 and the Ultrasone Pro 900's. This is gonna be my new setup. I finally feel like I'm wetting my feet in the audiophile world. I've also returned my ASUS U3 amp. I'll do another update when I actually get both the amp and the cans.

I want to thank all of you who have given me information and given me so much help. Now all I need to do is wait.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #45 of 100
Quote:
Ok guys, here's an update: I have ordered the FiiO E10 and the Ultrasone Pro 900's. This is gonna be my new setup. I finally feel like I'm wetting my feet in the audiophile world. I've also returned my ASUS U3 amp. I'll do another update when I actually get both the amp and the cans.

I want to thank all of you who have given me information and given me so much help. Now all I need to do is wait.

Best of luck on your journey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back