Headphones starmap
Jul 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #17 of 41
Kennerton constellation (Rognir added) and some minor updates

HP-starmap-20210704.png
On Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 800 S - I'm surprised to see that the latter has a smaller soundstage here. Maybe it was true for initial HD 800 S revisions (they adjusted internal ring resonator or smth, according to pictures on forums), but now the soundstage of HD 800 S is definetely not percieved as of "average" size, at least for me and on a model with S/N >30K. Maybe you've heard some old model or did the comparison with the HD 800 by memory, not side by side? Or it's due to different amps?

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #18 of 41
On Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 800 S - I'm surprised to see that the latter has a smaller soundstage here. Maybe it was true for initial HD 800 S revisions (they adjusted internal ring resonator or smth, according to pictures on forums), but now the soundstage of HD 800 S is definetely not percieved as of "average" size, at least for me and on a model with S/N >30K. Maybe you've heard some old model or did the comparison with the HD 800 by memory, not side by side? Or it's due to different amps?
I beleive the reason - in my HD 800 version, it's S/N 19xxx, later versions of HD 800 have less spacious soundstage and more bass, in result - much closer to 800S (at least that I tried) sound signature. I still have these 800. Never heard later 800 S, seems like worth trying if they're back to good old roots of early 800 )

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #19 of 41
Curiosity. When yoy say "light" (the yellow color) do you mean a bright sound as in a trebble focus?

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #20 of 41
Curiosity. When yoy say "light" (the yellow color) do you mean a bright sound as in a trebble focus?
A little simplified - sound with accent on a treble, in extreme - also with a recessed bass.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #21 of 41
We may not agree on a headphone or 2 sound and placement….but man this is a awesome project. I thank you for sharing it @levap. I havent dug far, but do you have ZMF on this map?

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #22 of 41
We may not agree on a headphone or 2 sound and placement….but man this is a awesome project. I thank you for sharing it @levap. I havent dug far, but do you have ZMF on this map?
Nice thing to have - if you disgree with some headphone placements, you can see system and consistency in disageement and accordingly move fragments of big picture up or down on your personal taste ))

ZMF - rare guest in Russia. For now, no ZMF on this map, alas. I have Atticus and will add them on map soon. More vague plans on Verite open.

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #24 of 41
So all in all: I understand that the best all rounder with the best price/performance ratio, wide soundstage and deep bass is Perun?
Perun "Live sound" - extraordinary headphones for money (for headphones only price is groudbreaking, but don't forget - you need good electrostatic amplification with them and not so cheap amp to show all that headphones have to show). But I personally could not call them "best all rounder", considering competition on this level (+/- some steps up and down). They have too much taste in their voice, tha's what I mean "Stax 007 on maximum settings" - not absolutely balanced, but lot-of-a-character kind of device. And if you love this taste - they could be absolutely very best compared to any headphones on this planet. And if you dislike this taste - just another nice cans that you do not like. Anyway, absolutely worth trying considering their price.

Jul 21, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #25 of 41
Where is it possible to listen to the Perun "Live sound" in Moscow?

Jul 21, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #26 of 41
Perun "Live sound" - extraordinary headphones for money (for headphones only price is groudbreaking, but don't forget - you need good electrostatic amplification with them and not so cheap amp to show all that headphones have to show). But I personally could not call them "best all rounder", considering competition on this level (+/- some steps up and down). They have too much taste in their voice, tha's what I mean "Stax 007 on maximum settings" - not absolutely balanced, but lot-of-a-character kind of device. And if you love this taste - they could be absolutely very best compared to any headphones on this planet. And if you dislike this taste - just another nice cans that you do not like. Anyway, absolutely worth trying considering their price.
Thank you very much! So what do you consider as an all-rounder with a huge soundstage, deep bass, great price/performance ratio under 1000$? :)

Jul 21, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #27 of 41
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #28 of 41
Thank you very much! So what do you consider as an all-rounder with a huge soundstage, deep bass, great price/performance ratio under 1000$? :)
My idea is that "best all-rounder" and "great price/performance ratio under 1000$" - not the same )) But if we are talking about "great price/performance ratio" + "best all-rounder" Perun probably really the best one - and that high in TOTL headphones group.
(Not sure still that they're "under $1000" or "about $1000" and don't forget about dedicated amplification.)

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #29 of 41
BTW they were available to listen at Moscow Hi-Fi show this year
Didn't know about them at that time unfortunetaly.

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #30 of 41
Perun probably really the best one - and that high in TOTL headphones group.
How is it compared to the HD 800 S? Which one has better resolution and soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back