Headphones starmap
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

levap

100+ Head-Fier
For some time (since 2014 actually) I explore synergy, that different headphones have with different music styles (metal, jazz and electronic music mostly, see links below). From the beginning of this journey I had and itch to draw starmap with all these headphones somehow ordered on one (big) page. First serious try is here (for now in "proof of concept" or "minimum viable product" condition). Please say what you think about it and what could be done to improve this map.

HP starmap 20210122_en.png

Links to threads about "best headphones for ..."
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-headphones-for-jazz.777266/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-headphones-for-electronic-music.859478/

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 41
+ Kennerton, Fostex, Denon, Ultrasone, Beyerdynamic, Sony
HP starmap 20210222.png

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 41
I love this graphical approach. It is very useful to someone like me who hasn’t heard most of the headphones. I was interested to see where the Beyerdynamic T1s would appear as I use these, although mine are the second generation ones.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 41
May 15, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 41
+ Snorry and some minor updates
HP starmap 20210504.png

May 15, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 41
+ Snorry and some minor updates
Hi.

Great map. Very big synthesis work. :)

Only different appreciation from yours (for my 55 years old ears), the Kennerton Thekk should be put at the same level as the Kennerton Thror (that of "Super-flagship" and not that of "simple flagship"), because it is of the same technicality as the Thror (for the speed and the resolution), with a little more fleshy sound (with more sound density) than the Thror in the low mids and the bass. The Thekk is also slightly more open (airy) than the Thror.
To my 55-year-old ears, the Thekk (well broken in, and it's important to say that) is not bright, nor dark, it is well balanced for tone just a little more colorful in the low (bass and low-mids) than the Thror (more colorless).
In any case (for my ears) it is not brighter than the Focal Utopia, and should be considered as "neutral" and not "light" nor obviously "dark".

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 41
Kennerton constellation (Rognir added) and some minor updates

HP-starmap-20210704.png

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 41
@levap

This is very unique.

I personally will not call Utopia or LCD4 super flagship territory thou. Just normal flagships.

Maybe add "legendary" and place R10, Omega and Orpheus there?
Super flagship - Susvara, LCD4, Utopia, Abyss, 009
Flagship - HD800, etch...

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 41
Never heard about the "Snorry NM 1?" Thanks :) loves those hidden headphones.

Maybe also have a circle within a circle? and more colors? Example, HD800 with a small grey circle inside a big blue circle to represent neutral and vast soundstage?

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 41
I personally will not call Utopia or LCD4 super flagship territory thou. Just normal flagships.
This is a sad day if $4000 would be considered "normal" flagship nowadays, personal opinions aside. Prices are a bit into the stratosphere even taking into account inflation

Thanks @levap for this comprehensive starmap. +1 on the NM-1 & Thror...very good headphones indeed :)

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #11 of 41
@veritg0

It's not sad. Just because a company overprice a headphone, it dosnt mean it's a superflagship.

The Utopia is just a flagship. It's Focal flagship. The Hifiman Susvara is a superflagship. The stax 009 is a superflagship. I will even consider the 007 a superflagship. The L700 and other lambdas are normal flagship.

Now if we have a new category called, "legendary" than it's okay to call the Utopia, LCD4, etch, superflagship.

@levap also I realize you put W2002 in junior flagship. That was AT flagship. It was the first AT woodie to really show flagship territory, from box to dedicated amp to balance signature etch...

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 41
This is very unique.

Maybe add "legendary" and place R10, Omega and Orpheus there?
Super flagship - Susvara, LCD4, Utopia, Abyss, 009
Flagship - HD800, etch..
I think "legendary/cult" classification - is one more dimension ) Some years ago discussed it in a thread below
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cult-headphones.859929/

Jul 7, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #13 of 41
Jul 7, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 41
Maybe also have a circle within a circle? and more colors? Example, HD800 with a small grey circle inside a big blue circle to represent neutral and vast soundstage?
Still considering something to add to scheme, but it's already challenging to read and with addition of more information layers - risk to become absolutely mind-blowing )

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #15 of 41
The Utopia is just a flagship. It's Focal flagship. The Hifiman Susvara is a superflagship. The stax 009 is a superflagship. I will even consider the 007 a superflagship. The L700 and other lambdas are normal flagship.
When I find place on starmap I compare headphones to closest rivals - if they're a bit better or a bit simlified, to define optimal position. Basic position inside of product range of one brand gives some clues for better placement, but it is not "silver bullet" anyway. So most fun and holy-war-generating part - interbrand positioning, as it's clear from some comments above ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back