Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain
Jun 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #31 of 68
Quote:
Can you add the following headphones?

I'm working on it.

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, how was the gain calculated? It seems to be 104 - S@1V.

Yes. 110 dB is the target. The sensitivity is converted from manufacturer specs (often with 1 mW input) or taken from measurements and converted to 1V input. Since the source is assumed to output twice that (2 V), we have to subtract 6 dB.

You can also attack this from another angle: 110 - (X + 20*log10(2 / voltage_required_to_reach_X_dB)).

Quote:

The gain calculation assumes a source output voltage of 2 Vrms. For lower voltage (portable) sources, obviously more gain is needed.

Right. If you use a DAP that outputs 1V you have to add 6 dB. If it outputs only 0.5 V add another 6 dB.

or add: 20*log10(2 / X) where X is the Vrms of your source.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #32 of 68
I've added the requested headphones and updated the numbers of some others.

Quote:
The impedance of the Bose QC15 is very high...

Yes, it's a noise canceling headphone with an integrated amplifier. It rises to about 15 kOhm at 100 Hz and drops to about 1 kOhm at 1.5 kHz.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #33 of 68
Integrated #13 into a graphic in #1. Not sure if dB SPL is the right unit. Is there such a thing as LU SPL? Would that even make sense?

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #34 of 68
Found the information for SHURE's SE535: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-models/se535-sound-isolating-earphones

Sensitivity: 119 dB SPL/mW
Freq. Range: 18Hz – 19kHz (Pretty much perfect)

I believe it's only 15 or 18kHz that most people can generally hear up to anyways, I forget, but this exceeds both of those expectations anyways. And 18Hz is very low, you're not going to be hearing under that.

Pretty amazing specs though for an earphone... I just wanted to look it up based on the information I seen in your table. :)

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #35 of 68
It's definitely one of the most sensitive/efficient in-ears. About 133 dB SPL theoretically with just 1V is crazy.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Freq. Range: 18Hz – 19kHz (Pretty much perfect)

High-frequency extension seems to depend a bit on seal, ear canal, etc., but just an FYI, that 19 kHz is (like with many many other sets) pretty optimistic, depending on your perspective.

Audibility for people aside, check the actual response. It's not like you're getting similar energy up top as you are through most of the range.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE535.pdf
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/05/shure-se535.html

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #37 of 68
I have a pair of speakers in my basement that have a sensitivity of 105 dB @ 1W. The setup is also using an active crossover, and 3 different amps for each range of frequency. I was never an earbud or a headphones guy though, so this thread was interesting to see these numbers at least. :)

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #38 of 68
I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this collection of data. I link to it all the time when people ask questions about amp A with headphone B.

beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #42 of 68
M4U2 and SL300 and Fanny Wang Custom 3000 have similar impedances. Yes, the integrated noise canceling / amplification circuitry results in a high impedance at low frequencies.

My guess/explanation: A crossover separates low frequencies, where cancellation works, from high frequencies. Low frequencies are amplified using the internal amp incorporating the inverted signal from the mics (to cancel outside noise), resulting in high impedance. High frequencies are "looped through" resulting in lower impedance (approaching that of the driver).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back