Headphones on average emit 4x recommended radiation of PC monitor?
Sep 30, 2010 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier

Do you guys know if there is some truth to this?  There doesn't seem to be other supporting articles outside of Ultrasone's website. 

Quote is from Ultrasone
Source:http://www.ultrasone.com/index_en.php?level=2&CatID=4.23&inhalt_id=23

"Within a research of 60 current headsets (1999 - 2000) ULTRASONE found out, that the average magnetic field emission of headsets is more than 1000 nT with a peak maximum of 2100 nT - on average. This is more than four times the maximum, recommended for computer screens in TCO '99;i irresponsible cases show even more than ten times the maximum!"

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 37

At the surface, the Earth's magnetic field strength is up to 60,000nT (nanoteslas). Just look at the way it moves compass needles if ever proof were needed - abandon planet!! 
biggrin.gif

/S

Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Within a research of 60 current headsets (1999 - 2000) ULTRASONE found out, that the average magnetic field emission of headsets is more than 1000 nT with a peak maximum of 2100 nT - on average. This is more than four times the maximum, recommended for computer screens in TCO '99;i irresponsible cases show even more than ten times the maximum!"

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 37
I think the term "radiation" is thrown around too loosely here.

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 37
Hmmm, I've been trying to find what a cell phones typical nanotesla measurement is, just wanted to compare.  Anybody find this measure anywhere?

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 37
Strictly speaking the maximum magnetic field strength specified in the TCO99 standard is intended to reduce interference with nearby electrical devices rather than to protect human health - magnetic fields of that strength have zero effect on the human body. And then there are modern medical scanners which generate positively huge magnetic fields with essentially zero harm (provided you took your keys out your pocket first)!

Sounds very much like scaremongering to me, disappointing coming from an otherwise reasonable manufacturer.

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 37
It's not really possible to do a straight comparison since the EM radiation given off by cell phone antennae is up in the microwave range. The output power of a phone is also likely to be measured in watts or milliwatts as well. The magnetic fields Ultrasone are talking about won't be nearly as high frequency.

Hmmm, I've been trying to find what a cell phones typical nanotesla measurement is, just wanted to compare.  Anybody find this measure anywhere?

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 37
Nizzel, it is wrong to compare the static magnetic field of the earth with the alternating electric field emitted by electronics. TCO 99 sets the emf limit requirement for monitors also based on people claiming they suffered negative health effects from emf.

If you're afraid of emf, you should invest in a good trimeter, then you won't have to guess and be paranoid. You can know and be paranoid like me
smily_headphones1.gif
and wrap big emf emitters in foil.

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 37
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: EVERYONE STOP EATING BANANAS THEY ARE RADIOACTIVE

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: EVERYONE STOP EATING BANANAS THEY ARE RADIOACTIVE

And coffee too.  Most coffee is grown at high altitudes and catches more cosmic rays than something at sea level.

That reminds me, DON"T GO TO RMAF!  Not just high altitude, not just headphones, but LOUDSPEAKERS!  Think of all the 'radiation' you'll be exposed to!

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 37

Quote:

And coffee too.  Most coffee is grown at high altitudes and catches more cosmic rays than something at sea level.

That reminds me, DON"T GO TO RMAF!  Not just high altitude, not just headphones, but LOUDSPEAKERS!  Think of all the 'radiation' you'll be exposed to!

omg I kid you not, I'm sitting at my desk eating chocolate covered coffee beans...I hope these beans were grown in an underground bunker...
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back