Headphones on a ~100 dollarish budget?
Sep 5, 2014 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tesn

New Head-Fier
Budget - ~$70-120 but willing to go up if really necessary
Source - For home use on my PC, for gaming and all genres of music.
Requirements for Isolation - I share a room and do not live alone. So I suppose the more isolation the better. If less isolation helps with quality while not disturbing isolation too much though, I'd entertain the thought.
Preferred Music - I honestly listen to a lot of different genres, and play a lot of games on my PC.
I was looking for good quality suggestions for headphones that shouldn't bother the people that live with me, and found these:
Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones
Sony MDRV6 Studio Monitor Headphones
KRK KNS6400 Studio Headphones
Any opinions? I'm also open to other suggestion of course, I'd appreciate any help given. I game a lot and listen to all genres so I don't really have a specific niche for some particular headphone style. Not having to buy an AMP would also be cool, but I'm willing to hear suggestions for buying.

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 7
I will suggest two more.

Shure SRH440 (about $100)
Takstar PRO80 (about $60)

Both headphones also highly increase their comfort levels when switching over to Brainwavs HM5 pads (about $8 each)

I can tell you MDR-V6 are rather thin slightly bright sounding headphones, they're great for monitoring though tend to sound a little hollow with vocal genres. While they're a legend and I love them you probably want something a little thicker in the mids for your gaming. 

Honestly, if it were me I would do some research on Takstar PRO80, a real bang for the buck headphone.

I'll give you our thread as it's a little hard to find : http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread

Of course others will hopefully chime in too.

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 7
  Budget - ~$70-120 but willing to go up if really necessary
Source - For home use on my PC, for gaming and all genres of music.
Requirements for Isolation - I share a room and do not live alone. So I suppose the more isolation the better. If less isolation helps with quality while not disturbing isolation too much though, I'd entertain the thought.
Preferred Music - I honestly listen to a lot of different genres, and play a lot of games on my PC.
I was looking for good quality suggestions for headphones that shouldn't bother the people that live with me, and found these:
Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones
Sony MDRV6 Studio Monitor Headphones
KRK KNS6400 Studio Headphones
Any opinions? I'm also open to other suggestion of course, I'd appreciate any help given. I game a lot and listen to all genres so I don't really have a specific niche for some particular headphone style. Not having to buy an AMP would also be cool, but I'm willing to hear suggestions for buying.

I own the CALs (but they are broken), the MDR-V6s and KNS8400s.
I like my Takstar Pro 80s better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back