1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Headphones not working properly with cable extension?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by notalefty, Apr 6, 2014.
  1. NotaLefty
    I just bought a pair of AKG K545's yesterday. The included cables are only 3 feet, so I picked up a 6.5 foot extension to use with my computer. When the 545's are used with the extension, the vocals disappear, and the rest of the sound is crackly and sounds like it's underwater. The cable works fine with other headphones. What is the issue here?

Not sure if this is posted in the correct location.

2. bigshot
    Sounds like the connector on the extension isn't working properly. Try jiggling the plugs and see if it makes a noise.

3. NotaLefty
    The extension works fine with other headphones. I contacted AKG and was told that the 545's can't be used with extensions exceeding 6 feet. I tried using a shorter cable and it still wasn't working properly. 

4. bigshot
    Could the cable connector on the headphones be shorting out? I doubt that just 6 feet more of wire would make that much of a difference. There's a problem with contacts in a plug somewhere.

5. NotaLefty
    The headphones work with anything they are plugged into, but stop working when any sort of extension is added to the equation. The extensions work with every other headphone they are used with. 

6. bigshot
    Weird!

7. ab initio

The website says they come with two detachable cables: one with a controller and trrs plug, another withtlout a controller and trs plug.
    Which cable are you using? Id expect the extension will function best with the cable without the controller.

Cite/Site: AKG

Cheers

8. bigshot
    Ah, that link explains the problem. These cans don't have regular stereo cables. Both of the supplied cables have built in microphones for use with a phone. The plug configuration must be tricky to allow for the mic and the cable extender is too dumb to work with them.

I would return the cable extender and ask if they have an extender that works with headphones designed to work with mics and smartphones.

9. Redcarmoose
    One other cause can actually be build specifications. This is normally more noticeable with certain 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adaptors, but it can theoretically happen at any time.

Due to this issue some folks go to far lengths to always use the adaptors with the headphones which were included with them. I have had 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adaptors which I’ve thrown out due to the issue. And.....that’s exactly the sound, a fuzzy underwater sound.

The reason the other headphones work with your new extension cable is because there connectors are in line with the new cable. Buying a different brand of extension cable will most likely work out. A different brand of extension cable will line up with your AKG plug.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  10. bigshot
    Headphones with a mike included use a different plug configuration... tip ring ring sleeve as opposed to tip ring sleeve. If you mix and match the two, you might run into trouble.