Headphones noobs seeks advice
Aug 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MetalLover

New Head-Fier
Hi there! I came here because I think it's the best place to seek advice.

I want to buy headphones for listening at work. The main points are:
- I mostly listen to metal (and a little rock/electronic)
- price <100$
- must not leak noise outside because I don't want to annoy my co-workers. It doesn't need to be closed, my brother has Technics RP-f300 (which are open or semi-open (whatever that means)) and I never heard any noise.
- must not be tight. I have hd280pro and the phones tremple down my hair around the ears (and a little bit the headband) and my hair looks funny (other than that 280 are the best headphones I had). Actually this is the main reason my brother doesn't use them at work too
biggrin.gif

I am thinking about buying hd202, but I read that the headband is really tight. Also I'm not very sure I want supra-aural because I think they might be uncomfortable and warm my ears, although I never tried supra-aural headphones.

Thanks in advance (and sorry if I broke some forum rules but I have a train to catch and don't have time to read the whole rule thread).

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 14
I bought hd202 and I am very disappointed:
- the sound sucks big time: very unclear and the bass is all over. I guess I learned my lesson: never buy headphones <70$ again.
- the fact that they are supra-aural sucks also: my ears hurt a little and get warm so after I take them off the tip of my ears are red.
I'll take them back/sell them.

So:
- no supra-aural, it's dumb
- price >=70$

I was thinking about hd215. I read that are more comfy (don't clamp the head so hard) than 280 and sound kinda similar). Also they're closed so no sound leak. I heard the bass is weak like 280, and that pleases me.
I am also thinking about hd485. Cons would be that are open and have lots of bass (?? dunno about this one)

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 14
I use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 231 Pro headphones for listening to rock and metal through a Sansa Fuze and I really like the sound of them, they are closed but sound does leak a little bit but it's not a lot of leakage, no isolation though.

I don't find them too uncomfortable although after a few hours my ears do start to feel like they are being pinched a little bit but its not that painful.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 14
I would recommend Denon AH-D1001. They are supraaural - the cups actually are something in-between supra and circumaural - my ears are too big to fit inside them, but too small so that the phones cannot sit completely on top of them. The smaller cups and rather thin headband make it easy on hair. The sound is somewhat boosted in highs and bass (smiley FR), which makes them fun and exciting phones. They don't isolate much from outside noise, but leakage is minimal.
Possible problems - based on your taste, you would maybe prefer headphones with even more accentuated and forward highs (Grado-like sound) + the Denons might not be fast enough for extreme metal. I like them for all kinds of rock and some slower, more atmospheric metal, but grind/black/death etc. is probably not their forte (but I don't listen to these much so an alternate opinion is welcome).
This is what I would recommend, of course, YMMV.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 14
I'm going to suggest giving koshman's post serious consideration. My friend is a casual audiophile and listens to mainly metal. He went for the Denon AH-D1001 and loves them.

Of course, we don't know what your source is, or where you're going to be using these headphones.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 14
Hi there!
The Denon and srh840 are seriously over my budget (first post I said max $100).
Dunno about Beyerdynamic DT 231 Pro, but I will think about it in the future.

I sent back hd202, got hd215. I have to say I'm pleased. The sound is clear enough, with strong bass and highs, so I have to eq to boost mids, but sounds ok.
The isolation is as good as of hd280's but contact pressure is lower and price half. Too bad it's a discontinued model.

The only bad thing it's that the ear pads are circular, not oval (probably it's useful for djs) and BIG.

Nevertheless, I am recommending this for any newbie out there who wants a decent circumaural closed headphone and is not a bass freak.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there!
The Denon and srh840 are seriously over my budget (first post I said max $100).
Dunno about Beyerdynamic DT 231 Pro, but I will think about it in the future.

I sent back hd202, got hd215. I have to say I'm pleased. The sound is clear enough, with strong bass and highs, so I have to eq to boost mids, but sounds ok.
The isolation is as good as of hd280's but contact pressure is lower and price half. Too bad it's a discontinued model.

The only bad thing it's that the ear pads are circular, not oval (probably it's useful for djs) and BIG.

Nevertheless, I am recommending this for any newbie out there who wants a decent circumaural closed headphone and is not a bass freak.

The HD215's are pretty good, but one thing that is worth mentioning is its soundstage. There aren't many details, mids are slightly recessed, highs are rolled off, but isolation is exceptional, and the soundstage is quite exceptional for a closed phone.

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 14
And what happened to the good old Equation Audio RP21? Once a big time fav of head-fi, but now rarely mentioned. Once i heard the RP21's i'd never go back to the HD280's.

koshman suggests the Denon's, which is a good choice though! lightweight and comfortable, and 'alf decent at keeping the sound where it sound be.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Ok, so after a week I switched the hd215 with Technics RP-f300 (from my brother). The problem was that the pressure the headphones apply is higher than what I wanted (it seriously messes my hair and listening for more than an hour when I'm tired gets painful - the zone around the ear where the earpads sit)

A year passed, and the lame Technics RP-f300 started to die slowly. The cheap plastic that cover the earpads is disintegrating and I frequently have black spots under my ear :) So I need new headphones! :D

The constraints are the same:
  1. I mostly listen to metal (and a little rock/electronic)
  2. price 70$ - 100$
  3. no noise leak
  4. must not be tight
  5. circumaural

From the suggestions:
  1. Equation Audio RP21 - not available in my country
  2. D1001 is here ~300$ :O

That leaves me with Beyerdynamic DT 231 Pro so far. Any other suggestions?

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 14
If you're worried about the band ruining your hair why don't you go with in-ear monitors? 

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 14
I love Rock song, and when I try the AKG K512, for close headphone under 100 bucks, I'm satisfied enough :D

it has slightly forward mid which is good for rock, and the clamp also not really tight, I don't see any problem about comfort.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #14 of 14
Ok, so I decided for HD438. Apparently it's pretty comfy, I read that it's kinda "loose" and the isolation is not very good (as the RP-f300 are)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back