Headphones needed for a guitar player.
Jun 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
Asking on behalf of a colleague:

My colleague wants a pair of headphones for her boyfriend who is mad on guitars. In fact, she said, his parents have agreed to buy a £3,000 guitar for his birthday.

he's got an amp, but i don't know what kind of amp. I'm assuming a guitar amp????

Sorry for the sketchy details, but i guess she wants to spend as little as possible. I've suggested either the AKG K518's or the RP21's. any suggestions please.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 22
My home practice rig (nyc apt) is a line 6 pod xt and senn 600's.
AKG's will seem bass lite for practice purposes.

I make my living as a guitarist - and 90% of all sessions I do in NYC these days is on some sort of POD device.
Yeah its not the same as a great amp - but its the way it is.

With senn 600's - the tones I dial in at home translate to studio monitors quite well so if they can push they're budget to say senn 580's ........
Well worth the extra $$
imho ........

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 22
Ya HD600 is the one for the job if working in music industry...

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 22
Sometimes I use HD600 cuz they're really comfortable and don't fall off easily. Other times I use MS-1 cuz Alessandro makes really nice Guitar amps!

...I tried my MS2i; but they're too heavy and fell on my guitar once.....only once!!

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya HD600 is the one for the job if working in music industry...

Since when?

Stick to ye ol' standards: Sony MDR-V6 or 7506's.

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ed,
You seriously need to check out Fractal Audio's Axe-FX for your session work! Fractal Audio Systems

Yeah its pretty amazing.

But I can't tell you how many times I show up for a session - take out my podxt that's loaded with presets I have been tweeking for years .... only to have the engineer/composer say "uh .... R U cool with using our pod????
Being the hired gun .... my answer is ...... uh ..... yeah!

Should have moved to LA years ago as its the land where guitar players can put amps in the car and take to sessions (or cartage!).

But the fractal audio guys are really setting the bar at this point - couldn't agree with you more.

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since when?

Stick to ye ol' standards: Sony MDR-V6 or 7506's.

1. Since one particular persona I know face to face that works for Capitol swears by HD600.
2. Since I am talking headphones for using out of a guitar amplifier such that the sound would translate to the monitors/live equipment.
3. Since I play the instrument.

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 22
Ed,
Happy to hear you're up on the Axe-FX.
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW, there's only one brain behind Fractal Audio (Cliff Chase).

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 22
i appreciate the HD600 suggestions, however Stacey (my colleague) said that she's already spent £300 on his birthday presents so far. I guess it's a good but cheap option she wants.

Once again, sorry for the vague details, but thanks for your suggestions.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #13 of 22
I digged out this old thread just cause it matched my needs so well.
bigsmile_face.gif

I am looking for a closed headphone for guitar practice purposes. I already have the MS-1s and love the sound, but sometimes I would need a closed version to keep my girlfriend happy.
wink.gif

I would use them straight out of the guitar amp and would prefer a lightish set, that wont fall of when I move my head around. Of course it would be nice if they were decent for other purposes too.

Are any of these good:
ATH-ES7
AH-D1000 (or D2000)
Senn HD280
AKG K81

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS-1 electric guitar.
K-702 acoustic guitar.

Thanks for the thoughts, but I doubt they really fit my purposes. 1. They are both open. 2. They are a bit overkill for my purposes.
wink_face.gif

So any idea on the suitable closed phones in price range of 100€-150€ and preferrably available in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back