Headphones makes ears hurt
May 30, 2015 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nebbers

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I am fairly new to the "Higher-End" segment of audio. And while I never owner a very good pair of headphones before, I've always enjoyed soundquality.
A few days ago, I decided to go buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250ohm with a Fiio E10K DAC/AMP landing on monday.

However, eventhough the headphones seems incredibly comfortable, they make my ears hurt quite a bit after an 45-60 minutes after I put them on. And I have had the same issues with my Superlux HD 668B's. I am unsure if it is the clamping force of the headphones that does this, I have a pair of Plantronics Gamecom 780's and I can wear those for hour on end. Even if there pads are a little hard. Is there some way for me to make these incredibly good sounding headphones be more comfortable for me?

Thanks for your time to read and respond to this, this is my first post on here 
redface.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 10
I've tried wearing them in different ways now, and the pain is still in the same place..
Is my entire ear supposed to be inside of the cup? If so, my ears are quite a bit too big for those cans.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 10
  I've tried wearing them in different ways now, and the pain is still in the same place..
Is my entire ear supposed to be inside of the cup? If so, my ears are quite a bit too big for those cans.

It's supposed to be like that, so I think the round shape of the ear cups is not suitable for you.
Maybe headphones like the HD600 with oval ear cups will go completely around your ear. That might be a good alternative.

Also pay attention to the depth of the ear cup. Ideally, your auricles shouldn't touch the headphones at all.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 10
Try bending the headband frame and the gimbals. Not sure how similar Superlux and Beyers are, but I had the same problem on my HD330. What I did was remove the headband padding, then bend the frame downward/outward until it's almost flat on top; then bend the gimbals at the bend until they're nearly straight. Just mind the cables on each ear cup. Mine has no clamp force at all, it basically just stays on my head with enough pressure (and a bit of anchoring on my earlobes). Just readjust the headband if it starts putting pressure on the top of your head; also, expect the headband pad to not fit neatly.

Here's a photo from the net that I marked - arrows indicate where to exert pressure, lines indicate roughly how my pair looked like after.

Here's my HD330 for reference (along with all the talc+cornstarch powder from my heatrashed neck blown all over the place by the A/C to my rear left):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back