Headphones less than $100 for FiiO M7
Aug 8, 2018 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

listen2themusic

Head-Fier
Now that I have fixed by storage card problem, I am trying to decide on a pair of headphones to mate with this DAP. I have a pair of the original Grado SR80 cans as well as the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (originals). I started listening with these as they have a lower impedance than other headphone options I have.

For background, I don't need closed headphones as most listening will be at home. Most all of my listening is with LP rips in 24/96 - in other words, nice sounding pressings with good dynamics.

Grado: I find these to be extremely comfortable and the weight makes them feel as if they are barely there. The sound is very open and expansive, but too tilted towards the upper frequencies with bass a bit lacking. I think I replaced the pads on these years ago with perhaps the S pads? Not sure, they are pretty flat looking to me. I know Grado makes other pads for their other cans. Would any of these alter the sound from my SR80s for the better?

Audio-Technica: I don't like how they fit - feels like they are on my ears rather than around them - too much of a vice grip clamp as well. I like the sound of these better across the board, but the bass may be a bit too pronounced.

For fun, I grabbed my fairly new Sennheiser HD 600s. I have to run the volume out of the M7 at 75% of capacity to get the sound level up there. But I do like the way these sound - pretty neutral across the board with a pleasing and non-fatiguing sound (to my ears at least).

Obviously a few steps down the ladder from the HD 600, but I was thinking about trying some Sennheiser HD 559 headphones...you don't seem to find a lot of data about them - I know they replaced the 558. These are also easy to drive and should be a good match for a portable player. Do you think the HD 559 would be more similar to the ATH-M50...with a more "accurate" bass or more similar to the HD 600...or neither?

Is anyone else using the HD 600 straight from their DAP? Maybe I don't even need headphones just for the M7...maybe the HD 600s are perfectly fine?

Some days, I really hate this hobby. :confounded:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 5
I don't know the M7 all that well but I'm pretty confident that they are not being driven close to their potential. You'd need a more powerful dap to come close like a DX200 or X7.

You could also stick the m7 with a more powerful external amp.

Do you want open or closed? What type of music do you usually listen to?

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 5
I don't know the M7 all that well but I'm pretty confident that they are not being driven close to their potential. You'd need a more powerful dap to come close like a DX200 or X7.

You could also stick the m7 with a more powerful external amp.

Do you want open or closed? What type of music do you usually listen to?
I would prefer open. Comfort is an important factor as well as sound. I listen mostly to classic rock and classic jazz from well recorded sources.

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 5
I know it's a little but out of your budget but I would look into the Massdrop HD58X. I personally haven't heard them but based on what I've read they might be for you.

I would also check out Beyerdynamic DT990. I have the closed DT770s and really like them.

In this case I think upper your budget by $50-70 will get you a lot more performance.

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 5
I see no reason to get an inferior headphone.
I've used my HD650 with the FiiO M7 multiple times and it's a fine combination.
The M7 has a very clean sound that works well with the HD600/HD650. It's a neutralish pairing.
You can always get the FiiO A5 to use with your M7 if you want more power and a slightly fuller tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back