headphones in Japan - best (open) pair for snowboarding?
Feb 28, 2006 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tezzla

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

im going to Japan for a holiday in a few weeks and i was wondering about a good pair of headphones for snowboarding/skiing that i can buy in Japan.

I realise its a pretty specific info request but well...i figure since im going there, i might as well buy a pair of headphones while im there!
biggrin.gif

But yeah, i need them for snowboarding so they cant be closed/iems, and id really prefer them to be headphones (as opposed to buds). I was going to buy a pair of sportapros ... are there any japanses (i guess sony???) equivalents?

Otskare samadeshta!

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 25
What kind of headwear do you wear while snowboarding? My thought is the KSC-35 or 75's with one of those thick ear/headband thingies to keep the tips of your ears from falling off.

While you can get the KSC-75 in Tokyo, I'd get these before you go. I imagine it would be a lot easier for them to be delivered to you now.

As for the Japanese brands, I dunno, nothing better comes to mind. There is the audio-technica ATH-ES5, but I'd prefer the KSC-75's with headband if I were in your shoes.

Unfortunately you're probably looking for a cool recommendation for like a Sony earclip or audio-technica or Panasonic can that you can only get in Japan. Unfortunately with some very rare exceptions (Sony D-77) which are not commonly available, they're not as good as the Koss earclips.

Well, unless you're interested in the Stax earbuds. But I don't know if you're looking for a $200+ earbud/headphone system that involves an additional portable amplifier.

BTW, the use of "otsukaresama de****a" is kind of odd in this context. "onegaishimasu" is probably better.

Best,

-Jason

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qsilver2001
Get AT over there its cheaper . Hmm maybe Stax too as both are from japan.

Haha, I'd love to snowboard wearing some Stax cans.

I'd get an Audio Technica earbud or clipon, or the previously mentioned KSC 75 or 35.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 25
How much cheaper are you expecting the products to be here? Looking at the prices for the AT line at stores in Akihabara and around the Tokyo/Yokohama area then comparing them online via nextag...your best deal to save money is to buy via links from Nextag.

Granted, there is the cool-factor of saying you got it in Japan but you aren't going to be saving any money...except the shipping fee if it is a product not available in the states.

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 25
I noticed the snowboarders on the Olympics riding the halfpipe had some, what seemed to be special earphones that really wrapped around the ear, kind of like the KSC-75 but even more and I think they were earbuds.

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 25
I ride with IEM's and have for ~3 years. I guess it depends on where you ride, but you can still clearly hear/feel the snow with IEMs. If you're more concerned with colliding with other riders/skiers, then perhaps open is necessarry - but if you're a pipe/trees rider I imagine IEMs would do the trick.

Also, I ride with a helmet, and I don't think I could fit clipons comfortably underneath.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 25
thanks all for the replies

just to clear up a few things, i live in the UK not the states... and a pair of sportapros over here is about £20-25 pounds...so $35 USD?
frown.gif
I guess it isnt really that much more ....

Hmm, as for coolness factor, i just thought that there might be some neat headphones over there that werent as readily available [ie:i'd most prob never get the chance to try] everywhere else so if i had the chance to grab them...why not. The whole 'im so cool cos im the only one with this' isnt really what im after. Btw, im much more interested in sound, comfort and durability as opposed to looks as they will no doubt be sitting beneath a hat or helmet or some manner of headgear protecting me from the cold and brain damage when i stack it
wink.gif

I was thinking more like a headband headphone like portapros/sportapros/px-100/[insert similar type here] rather than earbuds or clip ons...i always thought clip ons would irritate my ear, although its more just a preconception rather than based on any prior experience.

Anyways, if anyone can think of anything else, lemme know, otherwise i might just grab the sportapros.

Quote:

Jason:
BTW, the use of "otsukaresama de****a" is kind of odd in this context. "onegaishimasu" is probably better.

hehehe i realise its not the right context ... but the last time i was snowboarding in Japan, i kept bumping into these cool Japanese guys who led me into all these crazy bars and had me yelling out with them at the top of our lungs 'otsukaresama de****a' as we slammed down shooters. lol i cant wait to do it again
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 25
Are you wearing a beanie/hat at all while you ride? I would imagine a regular over-the-head set of cans would sorta suck if you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back