sound is airy and neutral
comfort is excellent

cup is modified from a symphones design
and my own design adapters for senn px100 drivers and hm5 velour pads

3d printed in black pla
with
sony mdr-7506 headband

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #32 of 45
My solution was to position my Proton 300/301 table radio (with right channel speaker) on either side of my bed. It was basic near-field listening, and with comfort. These Protons, btw, are powered speakers (two-way, biamped) with attached tuner-preamp. They sound great, as well.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #33 of 45
With their small size, I like using carbo tenores when listening in bed. They don't feel like much at all, even when lying on my side.
I think this is a good choice as it's small enough(at least for people with the right sized canals), and price is pretty reasonable for the sound you get. Not so expensive to worry about damaging it. So, since it fits inside, I think it's a choice in case you happen to lay on the side as well. Perhaps there are something really tiny, the only wires sticks out.

I dunno if you can have a really good speaker system that has good directional while you are lieing down. If the bed is in the center and have a speaker system on the sides, that works, but if looking for something that does not leak sound, I think IEMs is the way to go. May not find the highest quality one that meets the needs of size and comfort, but for simple listening, it's probably the most practical option there is.

For bed listening, it's not something serious for me, but listening to some podcasts.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #34 of 45
These are pretty easy to sleep in:wink:

NX1 4G Touch X7.JPG

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #36 of 45
I actually almost strangled myself in bed once because I roll around a lot, so especially as I only listen to audiobooks and podcasts in bed, I now "use up" all the cheap crappy pack-in earphones I have and tie them to my headboard (?) with only enough slack to not having to hold my head totally rigid in bed so that if I start rolling around, the phones pop out immediately.

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #37 of 45
I actually almost strangled myself in bed once because I roll around a lot, so especially as I only listen to audiobooks and podcasts in bed, I now "use up" all the cheap crappy pack-in earphones I have and tie them to my headboard (?) with only enough slack to not having to hold my head totally rigid in bed so that if I start rolling around, the phones pop out immediately.

That sounds dangerous!

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #40 of 45
Oh, and a pillow that should allow for many earbuds is one by Purple. I've only done research on their mattresses, but those actually allow you to sit on an egg without breaking it - so I imagine a pillow from them would be good with many in-ears.

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #41 of 45
I spend quite a bit of time listening to my rig in bed but find it quite uncomfortable on my side as the pressure from the pillow onto the headphone pushes into my head.
I have looked online for a solution but there is nothing so I'm thinking of getting a foam pillow and cutting a headphone sized dip into it.

Has anyone done this? And do others have the same problems? Or is there some other solution you have come up with?

No, I have this vision of making the news: "audiophile found strangled wearing high-end headphones in bed." When I am in bed I have the Klipschs rolling at low but legal volumes and the stereo sleep time set for however long I think it will take me to become unconscious. It's easier to fall asleep knowing I won't pull equipment off a table, trip over a cord and bash my skull or, the strangling thing. Just no! :wink:

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #42 of 45
This problem of laying down with your favorite pair of headphones on has been solved using a Beat Lips Headphone Pillow. Our goal with this design was to allow comfortable resting positions while using any headphone regardless of it's shape and size. Our first production run has been received and these pillows are available on our website: www.beatlips.com

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #44 of 45
I very often fall asleep with my 800S , listening to music in bed , eyes closd in a dimly lit room is infinitely more pleasurable than sitting up. I concentrate and get absorbed in the music in such an immersive way, it becomes a mystical experience. On my back of course as I wouldn't like to crush my beloved HPs...
Perhaps slightly out of subject but why is the sound so sublime after 1am and till the early hours of the morning? It's the time I m supposed to be asleep and I alway feel I m missing out on the best SQ ...

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #45 of 45
I very often fall asleep with my 800S , listening to music in bed , eyes closd in a dimly lit room is infinitely more pleasurable than sitting up. I concentrate and get absorbed in the music in such an immersive way, it becomes a mystical experience. On my back of course as I wouldn't like to crush my beloved HPs...
Perhaps slightly out of subject but why is the sound so sublime after 1am and till the early hours of the morning? It's the time I m supposed to be asleep and I alway feel I m missing out on the best SQ ...

The same as me, but that is caused by the environment that becomes much more quiet as everything has gone deep into the sleep, the main power line and the WiFi signals RFI that bombard us throughout the day is also less active. Our brain get all of it attentions into the music and what is happening by the only sense that it perceives, ears, hearings, and music :)

That is to say, Hd800s is very good to lay in bed with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back