Headphones/IEMs | Around $50
Aug 9, 2011 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mooshimuushi

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone 
biggrin.gif

My AKG K430 just broke down, and I was wondering if there was any good (or highly recommended) headphones or earphones that is portable for around $50

I immediately looked to the KOSS KSC75, but I thought to myself. I should ask others that are, for sure, wiser than me! Thus the thread. 

I had some bad experiences with earphones (Stock Apple Earphones), due to it zapping me in the ears multiple times. Thus I never trusted earphones. I'm fairly sure that I have gotten a little wiser with headphones (not really with earphones).

So what I'm trying to say, is that I'm looking for a pair of headphones (or earphones) that are portable, sound reasonable (or even amazing) with the price around $50.

Like I've stated, I turned to the Koss KSC75 first, but then I had a look around the earphones section within the head-fi forum (meaning, I searched) and found some earphones. The Brainwavz M1/2.I then looked through joker's thread of IEMS and I found the Soundmagic PL50, which sounds pretty cool.

Also, I listen to all type of music, but I mainly base around Alternative Rock, Rock and Ambience! 

.::Thinking on buying list::.
KOSS KSC75​
Soundmagic PL50​
Brainwavz M1/2​

Many thanks in advance 
wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 11
I've had good luck with the PL-50's they are pretty smooth. the KSC75's are clearer, more dynamic, and can be modified. Also look into the Koss Portapro's, I dunno what they run down under though...and see what Sony MDR-V6 are going for used...

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
I've had good luck with the PL-50's they are pretty smooth. the KSC75's are clearer, more dynamic, and can be modified. Also look into the Koss Portapro's, I dunno what they run down under though...and see what Sony MDR-V6 are going for used...

Ahh, that's great to hear that the PL-50's and the KSC75's were great start offs :wink:

Also, thanks for the suggestion of the Koss Portapro's! They look pretty decent. Gotta read through them though. The MDR-V6's aren't very portable, so it won't work for me :wink:

Any other suggestions :wink:

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
What about the Superlux 688b?

I was thinking on buying them, but these headphones that I'm intending on buying is for portability use. So semi-open might not be such a good idea :D

::EDIT::

Okay. Here is my updated list. 

.::Thinking on buying list::.
 ​
MEElectronics M6​
BrainWavz M1/2​
PL-50 (If I can find them cheap)​
KOSS KSC75​
KOSS PortaPro​

Any other suggestions? IEMs, Headphones?

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 11
So, any other recommendations? 

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
So, any other recommendations? 

If I were you, I would discard the PortaPro's, because they're open and you've stated before that you don't want semi-open, so....

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

If I were you, I would discard the PortaPro's, because they're open and you've stated before that you don't want semi-open, so....

Wait what? The portapros are open?! Hmm, I always thought that the porta pros were closed! Hmm, my intels have been off :wink: Thank you for the heads up!

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 11
i loved my PL50's very smooth nice sound, also the AKG K518 DJ is a good allrounder, portable too. Both i have mentioned work well for rock. Good luck

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 11
The price has crept up to $55, but the Beyerdynamic DT 235 is decent for headphones in that price range.  Though it doesn't have swivel cups, it's the smaller earpad (supraaural) style, and the build quality is very strong.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt-235-black.php

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
i loved my PL50's very smooth nice sound, also the AKG K518 DJ is a good allrounder, portable too. Both i have mentioned work well for rock. Good luck

Ahaha thanks! The PL-50 (from what I read) do sound smooth and balanced. The AKG K518 DJ cost way too much in Australia. Around $100?

Quote:
The price has crept up to $55, but the Beyerdynamic DT 235 is decent for headphones in that price range.  Though it doesn't have swivel cups, it's the smaller earpad (supraaural) style, and the build quality is very strong.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/beyerdynamic-dt-235-black.php

Hmm, sounds good. I'll read into them. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Is there an\y other IEM suggestions? Or should I move my thread over to the portable and IEM section of the forum? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back