headphones help!
Feb 2, 2003 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sillyboi

New Head-Fier
hi i was wondering if anyone could help me understand some things about headphones before i buy the wrong headphones. I've been reading that sennheiser's hd580's and hd600's are better suited for classical music (correct me if i'm wrong) and then there are other brands like beyer and grado (not too sure about this) which have better bass for music with hard deep bass.

my question: what brand/model of headphones is right in the middle of everything? (leaning towards the bassy side)

i've been reading alot of these forums but i haven't found a pair of headphones that fit my budget (180USD) that is leaning towards the bassy side a tad. i do listen to techno/fast music about 60% of the time but then the other 40% i listen to classical music for studying and just kicking back... so if anyone could help.. i would really appreciate that. thanks!

Feb 2, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 7
What's your source? Do you want open or closed headphones?

Feb 2, 2003 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by sillyboi
i have an ipod... and i don't really plan on buying an amp if not necessary... and i was looking into the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Art Headphone or the sony eggos.

I have both the A900s and the D66 Eggos
biggrin.gif

Both sound great... The A900s for slow, soulful music (they, to me fall apart a little if you up the tempo TOO much) and the D66s... well, they're just great all rounders to my ears
biggrin.gif

I think you could pretty much buy either with confidence, and both will run well, and loudly (due to them both being efficient) from your iPod

A900s are better overall in terms of bass though

Feb 2, 2003 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 7
The A900 is BIG. Very BIG. If you can live with that for all-purpose use, they work really well as closed all-rounders with a reasonable bass presence. I disagree with Duncan about the falling apart with faster stuff... It's very good with metal among others.

Feb 2, 2003 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm going to correct myself here... once, and once only
wink.gif
for the record...

I normally compare all headphones to my 'reference' HD600 / Cardas combo... if you consider that retails for twice as much as the A900s ~ even before amplification, and if you consider that on the most part the HD600s do not work very well with portable equipment... the A900s, at half the cost of the tricked out HD600s are pretty kick-ass 'phones
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 7
hrm... thanks for the replies i think i am going to order the eggos today... the audiotechnics look awesome and i do have rather large ears which would be good... but i bought the ipod for portability and i guess the portablilty of the sony's are unbeaten compared to the at's =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back