Headphones have me forgetting the music....
Mar 26, 2006 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Scotty757

500+ Head-Fier
So, I just got my k701's a week ago, and while I love the sound, I have had a hard time getting past the new detail I hear, especially as it relates to stereo (i.e. left/right) differences in the music.

Espeically, does anyone else notice that most bands have more highs in the left channel?

Any tips on how to let myself relax and enjoy the music more, instead of focusing on this?

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 10
Crossfeed usually solves these stereo issues. there are software pluggins for foobar if you use a computer, and meier sells an analogue crossfeed.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, with a few of my songs the highs are definitely in the left channel. Kindah weird.

I downloaded the foobar crossfeed thing, and it seems to make my music more enjoyable. There is a slight difference, and I like it, but: It only works with 0.9, and there's no columns UI for 0.9. So I'm gunna have both running on my PC for a while, looks like.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 10
What granodemostasa said.
Unless there is a paticular detail I want to hone in on, I listen with the crossfeed on. I think it mixes about 30% of the left/right together to give a more natural hearing experience.
Not that the sound is in anyway bad without it.
Your 701's aren't even close to being burned-in. I suspect a lot of the headphone sound will vanish as time passes.
Last point....As you listen more and more to your headphones, your perception will also change. I've come to prefer the detail, quality and personal listening experience of headphones.
There's no other way to have this quality of sound without spending thousands of dollars.
Give it some time. You won't realize when it happened, but you'll wonder why you ever asked this question.
JMO.
Hope this helped some.
Enjoy the new experience.
Jim

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 10
Interesting, I never felt the need to use the xfeed.

As for increased detail getting in the way of the "wholeness" of the music (that's the problem, if I understood you right)--I had the same issue when I first got my A900ltds (my first hi-fi cans). I got used to it in about 1 week, so give it some time. Good luck!

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Espeically, does anyone else notice that most bands have more highs in the left channel?

It is probably your ears.
Most people have unbalanced hearing in two ears.
Unfortunately, nowadyas few amps have L/R balance controls.
Today balanced control is considered un-hi-end.
But decades ago balance control was almost unviversal.

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
It is probably your ears.
Most people have unbalanced hearing in two ears.
Unfortunately, nowadyas few amps have L/R balance controls.
Today balanced control is considered un-hi-end.
But decades ago balance control was almost unviversal.

I really dont think so, because music I know to be free of stereo differences (based on frequency curves in soundforge) are "centered."

I just see/hear the more high-pitched insturments favoring a left-sided presentation in many, many tracks. Its actually pretty annoying.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back