Headphones for work
Jan 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nightanole

100+ Head-Fier
I work in electronics assembly and have my own bench with a pc. We had xm radio and 4 speakers to listen to for while but the language of alternative nation made management axe all rock and rap stations and basicly left us with country and elevator music. Needless to say we all headphoned up real quick. My weapon of choice was my koss portapros, others ended up with px100,rs110, and a set of sony v6's. Well my koss's got eaten by the cleaning lady's vacuum so im looking into another set. im a classic rock alternative guy and dont listen to trance nor heavy metal. I like my bass but its doesnt have to be subterranean.

Source: 128kbs streams from shoutcast stations and some cds ripped at 320kbs vbr

Amp: ibasso viper via usb port or ipod nano

budget:$150

Other requirements: Must be open backed as i have to hear "ding the test is done" and "hey i need you to do something" from management. Basically i need to hear my name called in a non shouting voice. These will only be on my head for 2 hours a time tops.

So far ive looked into Grado sr80 and 128's, and ATH-AD700. Im trying to balance my source to my phones (is 128kbs going to sound really bad if i get the hr595 and they dont mask anything) and i dont want to over buy and end up with a set that can hear the guy in the audience move in is chair, and also tell me "128kbs sounds like a phone conversation".

Jan 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 16
I would get a pair of Sennheiser PX100 (1.4 meter cable).

If that cord is too short, then I would get the Grado SR60 or SR80 (2 meter cable).

The ATH-AD700 is pretty large for an office setup.

Jan 1, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get a pair of Sennheiser PX100 (1.4 meter cable).

If that cord is too short, then I would get the Grado SR60 or SR80 (2 meter cable).

The ATH-AD700 is pretty large for an office setup.

I wouldn't say a circumaural headphone is too large for office use. It can always be stuffed in a drawer when not in use.

Seconding the recommendation for the PX100s, as they can be easily folded up and carted around.

Jan 1, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 16
You won't have any problems hearing someone call your name with the AD700. And for 2 hours, these will feel great on your head, or I hope they will if you choose to get them.

PX100 sounds like a better option, since it would be a shame to have the AD700s get chewed up at work

Only downside to PX100 I see is lack of single strand cord. I think single strand cord would make movement around assembly a lot easier and manageable.

I personally would take a real good look at the iGrados though. They seem just about perfect for your needs.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say a circumaural headphone is too large for office use. It can always be stuffed in a drawer when not in use.

I was more worried about the OP getting strange looks from co-workers. I love my Audio Technica's but I keep them at home.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was more worried about the OP getting strange looks from co-workers. I love my Audio Technica's but I keep them at home.
wink.gif

Keep in mind that we have a set of sony v6's(he doesnt have to hear) and a set of wireless fullsize Sennheisers already so size and dorkiness isnt a problem, nor is storage. I just want to simulate 2 speakers that someone can talk over, and not be so reveling that it makes my source sound like crap.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 16
Grado SR-60 would suit you nicely. They are pretty comfortable. You could go with the 80s. You might want a set of the pads that come with the SR-60as I think that they are more comfortable than bowls.

You could try the ear bud route with Yuin PK2's or some other Yuin product. No need to amp the PK2's and they sound great. I have a pair of Yuin PK1's (I amp) and really like them. Still, I'd run with Grado. If I had the lolly, I'd move up to the 225's. Amp them with a Fii0 E5 and you've got it made. But they sound pretty good unamped. I have a pair of 60's (great cans for the money) and a pair of 325i's (excellent, but a tad bit heavy).

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 16
If you don't care about looking really dorky, I would probably go with the ATH-AD700. I have not heard those specific cans but I love all the other Audio Technica headphones I have tried. I find the wing system to be very comfortable as well.

Grado's can be a little too aggressive and harsh for me. If you go the Grado route, you may want to go for the Alessandro MS-1 which is supposed to be a little more neutral and smoother than the SR-80.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 16
Since you're only playing streaming music I see no need to get the SR80's - just get the SR60. Unless of couse you want to bring them home occasionally and get better quality, in which case the SR80 might be worth the bump.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 16
The Sennheiser 555's and 595's would also do very well. The Senns will be more comfortable and will also stay on your head better than the Grados if you are working. If you wanted to step up to the 595's, you probably could find some used for $150. That would be my recommendation.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i got a set of grado 60's they sound nice but have no bass. Which would be better, the ad700's or the alessandro ms1's?

I have the AD700, and love them. They're not for bassheads, though. But they're the most comfortable phones I own, and the sound quality is wonderful.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 16
I'm probably considering the same options suggested here (AD700, or MS-1), but I am concerned about leakage.

I'm currently using a pair of AKG k601's (though haven't tested them in an office environment). Would the AD700s or MS-1s leak more or less than the AKGs ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back