Headphones for work with one way sound leakage?
Nov 16, 2008 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

martook

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm looking for a new set of cans for work and since I share the office with 4 other people, I need something with a low amount of sound leakage to the outside. But, since I need to be able to hear the phones ringing, I do want them to leak in sound.
I was thinking of getting a pair of D2000, but most people think they leak too much, so that might not be a good idea? Don't really want anything more expensive than that though.
Whatever I get, it will be powered by a SS amp. Pico today, something else soon...

Thanks for your help!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 21
When I owned the HD280 and used it at work, I could only tell the phone was ringing when the light on it flashed. But that was mostly because I had the ringer turned down and the music turned up. No matter what you get, you won't hear the phone ring if the music is turned up and the ringer is not loud enough. Too bad you don't have a light on your phone.

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by va3ttn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your best bet is using open headphones and reducing
sound level to the point where it doesn't disturb other people.

That's not really an option, I want to be able to hear the music after all...
wink.gif

I have a pair of HD600, but can't use that unfortunately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I owned the HD280 and used it at work, I could only tell the phone was ringing when the light on it flashed. But that was mostly because I had the ringer turned down and the music turned up. No matter what you get, you won't hear the phone ring if the music is turned up and the ringer is not loud enough. Too bad you don't have a light on your phone.

Yeah, I've got a pair of HD25-1 II now, and unless I'm using a very low volume, I can't hear the phone at all. I do actually have a light on my phone, but I can't have in in my view, so it doesn't help much unfortunately
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone knows how much the D2000 leaks compared to HD600?

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 21
Buy an inexpensive small sound mixer. Plug your closed type headphones into the headphone jack on the sound mixer. Wire your music source into the audio input of the sound mixer. Plug an inexpensive microphone into the microphone input of the sound mixer. Adjust the volume controls pertaining to the microphone so that you can hear the phone ringing or any other environmental sounds you need to hear. Adjust the control on the sound mixer pertaining to the music source to your satisfaction. This way, you will be able to hear your music and all other environmental sounds as well. The price of this should run you not more than about $75. You don't need top of the line components for this.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 21
Your best bet between the d2000 and hd 600 would be the d2000 i think. They should leak less sound than the hd600 at the same listening level.
And if you listen to music at low volume you shouldn't have trouble hearing whats happening outside and they wont leak enough for someone to hear anything from them without being next to you
biggrin.gif

The hd 600 is pretty close to no isolation at all, I don't have the d2000 but it should be close to my d7000 which isolation isn't great at all but still better than the senns.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 21
Minimal to no sound leaks out of my Denon D1001's... Not sure if that helps with comparisons

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy an inexpensive small sound mixer. Plug your closed type headphones into the headphone jack on the sound mixer. Wire your music source into the audio input of the sound mixer. Plug an inexpensive microphone into the microphone input of the sound mixer. Adjust the volume controls pertaining to the microphone so that you can hear the phone ringing or any other environmental sounds you need to hear. Adjust the control on the sound mixer pertaining to the music source to your satisfaction. This way, you will be able to hear your music and all other environmental sounds as well. The price of this should run you not more than about $75. You don't need top of the line components for this.

That sounds like a really fun solution to my problem, I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your best bet between the d2000 and hd 600 would be the d2000 i think. They should leak less sound than the hd600 at the same listening level.
And if you listen to music at low volume you shouldn't have trouble hearing whats happening outside and they wont leak enough for someone to hear anything from them without being next to you
biggrin.gif

The hd 600 is pretty close to no isolation at all, I don't have the d2000 but it should be close to my d7000 which isolation isn't great at all but still better than the senns.

Yeah, I think so as well, wish I knew someone that owned the Denons so I could bring the work and try them.

Well, the guy behind my back is like one meter away, so we are almost in each others laps...
smily_headphones1.gif

Then again, I just got him to buy a pair of hd280 instead of his hd600 so at least he shouldn't be a problem any more!

Regarding the D1001, another colleague of mine has them, and they are good isolation wise I think, haven't really tested them. I'm not sure the D2000 are the same way though, not the same design if I remember correctly. I guess the best way to find out if to buy a pair and test them, but that could also turn out to be an expensive way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 21
I bought a pair of Grado 325is because I couldn't use my Shure 530 or Beyer BT 770 due to the inability to hear anyone. It's a major problem because I'm one of the guys at work everyone needs to check in with several times a day.

Everyone got so use to making hand signals while I was using the Shure & Beyer that now they come up to me & mouth words. I just shock them by saying "speak up, I can hear you".

The Grados are great, I listen at moderate volume levels and can still keep a normal conversation as long as nobody mumbles.

GLC

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by martook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I've got a pair of HD25-1 II now, and unless I'm using a very low volume, I can't hear the phone at all. I do actually have a light on my phone, but I can't have in in my view, so it doesn't help much unfortunately
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can't move the phone's light to within view, you may want to consider buying a light that you can put within your view when the phone rings. The hearing impaired use them. Sells for $20+.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 21
I'm more interested in where the hell you guys work that allows headphones, regardless of isolation! I don't know very many firms that would accept that around here in LA.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by martook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I'm looking for a new set of cans for work and since I share the office with 4 other people, I need something with a low amount of sound leakage to the outside. But, since I need to be able to hear the phones ringing, I do want them to leak in sound.
I was thinking of getting a pair of D2000, but most people think they leak too much, so that might not be a good idea? Don't really want anything more expensive than that though.
Whatever I get, it will be powered by a SS amp. Pico today, something else soon...

Thanks for your help!
bigsmile_face.gif

Since you have an amp that helps to narrow the field down some. Personally I'd look at the Denon D1001s instead of the D2000s on cost factor alone. While you'll more than likely gain sonically with the D2000s you are at work, so sound quality is probably not job one - and the D1001s sound pretty darn good on their own. The leak sound in, though nowhere near as much as any open backed design. They do not leak much (if any - it'll depend on listening level) out.

My other closed back headphone of choice is the Beyerdynamic DT700 250ohm edition. Much nicer sound than the Denons (at a significant increase in cost I might add) that also allow some sound to leak in - not as much as the D1001s but I can still hear my home phone ring - but keep sound in where it belongs. BUT, these definitely need a good amp to drive them.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back