Headphones for watching series
Nov 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kudo

Head-Fier
Hi
I currently have DT770/600 which I love, they sound perfect for music in my ears.
Had HD555 before these and I thought those were perfect headphones for watching movies/series, the soundstage was amazing.
What headphones should I get for movie/series watching? I'm looking at AKG K-701 they seem to be on sale at few stores, but I don't know how they are for my purpose.
Thanks.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
Hi
I currently have DT770/600 which I love, they sound perfect for music in my ears.
Had HD555 before these and I thought those were perfect headphones for watching movies/series, the soundstage was amazing.
What headphones should I get for movie/series watching? I'm looking at AKG K-701 they seem to be on sale at few stores, but I don't know how they are for my purpose.
Thanks.

Heya,

Do you want them to be neutral or bassy? The K701 is going to sound dry and lifeless and bassless compared to the DT770 you have.

I would put you on the Sony MA900 or an AudioTechnica AD900.

Very best,

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 13
I'd get a headphone with top-notch long-term comfort if I were to use it to watch tv series or movies etc.  Perhaps a headphone that plays well with laying down as well.  Something like the audio technica line, although they don't feel right at all when laying down with them.

Why don't you like the DT770 for movies/series?

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 13
Comfort and I feel like some Open headphones have larger soundstage.
I liked the soundstage in my foam modded HD555, so thats the only thing that leaves desiring technically.
Sometimes I feel these are heavy on head (But only after like really long sessions) , which didn't happen with the Sennheisers.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Comfort and I feel like some Open headphones have larger soundstage.
I liked the soundstage in my foam modded HD555, so thats the only thing that leaves desiring technically.
Sometimes I feel these are heavy on head (But only after like really long sessions) , which didn't happen with the Sennheisers.

Why not just get the HD555's again?
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

At that price, there's the Senheiser HD600 and Hifiman HE-400, both of which have better low end response.

Very best,

Agreed, for music I reach for the HE-400/HD 650 every time, for movies and comfort I prefer the 1440. It reminds me of the 600 (bass response) with better details. I would not recommend for listening to music over the HD650 or the HE-400, but for what the OP asked for they are very good.

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 13
I might have budget for high-end headphones.
How about HD800 or Beyer T1?
How would those be movies and then music, better than what I currently have I presume.
Will Auzentech Bravura be enough to drive them (Hifi soundcard with built-in headphone amp in soundcard)

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 13
Maybe if not going for the total high-end, How about Sennheiser HD650/600 ?
They cost the same around here, whats the difference between these two, and how much of an improvement HD800 would be compared to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back