Headphones for use with Denon AVR-3312ci
May 25, 2015 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

balcy24

New Head-Fier
I have been doing a ton of research on headphones, so much my head is spinning! I have a Denon AVR-3312ci receiver with AV123 Rocket speakers. I also have an Outlaw sub (love the combo) but need something to escape the world when others are around. I also want to hear what is normally unhearable in songs (if that makes sense). The guitar fingering sounds or bow on a cello. Most of my music is either ripped in 320bps MP3 or lossless FLAC and I listen to everything from smooth jazz to hard rock with country in between. What would be a good headphone for my receiver and what impedance?

I have read reviews on Beyer 880/990s and the higher grade Senns and had pretty much decided on the 990s for their warmer than neutral sound signature (I do like good bass) then saw the T1 reviews at Amazon. Refurbished they can be had for $700 but have an impedance of 600 ohms. Will the Denon drive them or would I be better off with 300 ohm cans? I don't want to add an amp unless there is no other way. I had also thought about something low impedance too for use with my iPhone 6S but already have Klipsch IEMs already for that. From what I read higher impedance usually translates to better sound. Is that true? 

Thanks,
Balcy   

May 25, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 9
Unfortunately, Denon doesn't typically publish headphone specs with their receivers, so only another 3312ci owner can probably tell you for sure what headphones it will drive. If it were me, I'd probably stick with 250 to 300 headphones myself.

May 29, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 9
  I have a Denon AVR-3312ci receiver with AV123 Rocket speakers.

AV123 Rockets, I use to try reading up everything I could about that company (AV123) and it's "troubles", heard the guy that had been running the company is out of jail and working to repay everyone he ripped off, hopefully in 50 or 60 years he will make a dent in the amount he owns them.
How do you like the Rockets?

May 29, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 9
  I found a like new pair of Beyer T1's on eBay for $650, so even if I do need an amp (looking at a Valhalla 2 on eBay) I will be at or near the cost of a new pair! 

The Denon AVR-3312ci should be able to drive 600-Ohm headphones.
I know my Yamaha RX-V671 can drive my DT880 600-Ohm and DT990 600-Ohm and my Yamaha cost less and has less powerful amplifiers, then the AVR-3312ci.

May 29, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 9
I love them. I was kind of a victim too as I ordered their sub at the same time as the 5 Rockets but never received it. Thats how I ended up with the Outlaw sub (which is no slouch). The Rockets are 10 yrs old now and still like new. The owner apparently got caught up in some kind of charity trouble where he raised all kinds of money off his web site but never got around to giving it to the charity.   

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 9
I got the new used T1's yesterday in perfect condition off eBay for $650. Plugged them into my Denon AVR-3312ci receiver and instantly heard the TV audio being piped in from my dish. I had to raise the volume a little as the audio sounded a little thin and distant and wasn't real impressive. That was soon erased big time!

I switched the receiver to net mode and streamed music off my file server. I have ripped my favorite CDs to FLAC files for archiving but converted them to 320 MP3s for playback. I am just over 56 years old and have been a music lover most of my life but can honestly say I had my first true "ah ha" moment, the kind where you get goose bumps and a tingling down your spine.

On the Dixie Chicks "Top of the World" there is a musical pause roughly 3 minutes into the song followed by a strong cello solo. I had heard it several times in the past but this time it literally brought tears to my eyes. I didn't just hear it I felt it. It didn't sound like a recording but sounded like the cello was in the room with me. It was simply amazing! No headphone amp just the T1 and the receiver. 

Anyway, that is my first impression of the T1. Simply amazing...

Balcy  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back