headphones for travel
Sep 3, 2009 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones for travel. For me, although SQ takes first priority obviously, followed by comfort, appearance and practicality are of concern.

Been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-A900's. Can anyone comment on their build quality and practicality? The headband doesn't look like the kind of thing you'd wear down the street.

Other options are the ES7. While very nice looking and cheaper, I wouldn't pay $1 for something that sounds worse than my expectation.

What about the ESW9? Are you paying sheerly for the look compared to the A900?

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 9
are you going to travel by plane as well? If so, I'd recommend the sennheiser pcx450s. If you don't need NC cans, I'd take something that is smaller than the a900s. I have a pair of esw10s, for all purposes the same as the esw9 (slightly different sq), and they're easy to travel with, but also easily damaged. You might want to take with you a pair of sturdy, foldable phones with good sq. In that case, I'd choose the ultrasone hfi680s (or 780s if you need more bass).

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 9
IEMs +1 - best SQ for the size and portability. Easy to pocket. Depending on what you spend/choose, can rival the best full scale cans.

Also, you can probably use them without an external amp at times you don't want to carry that as well. The AT ESWx are a nice sounding can, but the "on ear" type can become uncomfortable after awhile, in my opinion. I use mine when I am at the beach house, or once I am in the hotel when travelling. I really love my UE-10pros or Klipsch Image for in the car or airplane. Better with the Hornet/Tomahawk, but fine straight out of the iPod.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 9
If you like in-ears, go with them. I can't wear them longer than 30 minutes before my ears start to hurt. And they isolate so completely, it's almost a drawback at times.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 9
I have a set of ER-4S. I don't expect significantly worse SQ.

Why I don't use them for travel? I have my reasons...

REB: ESW9 - how are they easily damaged? Do they come with a warranty?

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 9
esw9 or worse the esw10jpn's are easily damaged cosmetically, wood is always a pain to take care of... but its worth taking care of these babies.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
esw9 or worse the esw10jpn's are easily damaged cosmetically, wood is always a pain to take care of... but its worth taking care of these babies.

I completely agree. If you don't mind taking extra care of them, they are great travel cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back