Headphones for Ska/Reggae etc
Oct 19, 2016 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jshnks

Head-Fier
I currently have sennheiser hd 598's -- and was wondering if there would be any other headphones,
that could give these genre's more justice than what I currently have. For the most part, the only
amp I will be using will be my motherboard amp (MSI Gaming-7) and a vintage receiver. I'm not 
apposed to picking up another amp, i'd just rather match the amp to the headphones.

As for budget -- I don't want to say a certain amount and keep it in that limit, but I will say that
I'm a person that likes best bang for their buck.

Thanks in advance!
Joshua

Also, fullsized and IEM's are ok!

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 3
  I currently have sennheiser hd 598's -- and was wondering if there would be any other headphones,
that could give these genre's more justice than what I currently have. For the most part, the only
amp I will be using will be my motherboard amp (MSI Gaming-7) and a vintage receiver. I'm not 
apposed to picking up another amp, i'd just rather match the amp to the headphones.

As for budget -- I don't want to say a certain amount and keep it in that limit, but I will say that
I'm a person that likes best bang for their buck.

Thanks in advance!
Joshua

Also, fullsized and IEM's are ok!

SKA is not my go to genre but i grew up on NoDoubt and also enjoy bands like Streetlight Manifesto and Big Reel fish, and 880s seem to be able to keep up with the blend of complex instruments and pace of SKA type.  I'm not sure if its the best but i enjoy it.

Also, one or two of SHURE's 840 (440 if on tight budget) or even the higher end would probably work, but if you can demo it, probably wise.

Reggae i was more into in early 20s heavily, and well this is more tricky. Because oldschool roots vs more hardcore and modern, dancehall of old and new have different sounds. Some sound good with detailed can, whereas some are better on bass cans, which might not be so "accurate" per se. Kind of like with 90s dance music which dont sound great on accurate cans but rather on bass heavy ones with fun dance signatures.

I'm sure there are more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back