Headphones... for school?
Dec 21, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brood_Star /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input on those ES7. I didn't/don't want to buy from Audiocubes because the $212 price and then shipping... There's a chance I may get them off a friend for $120-140. If so, I'll probably pull the trigger on those

Ye, the D1001 are miles cheaper than the D1000.

If I were to choose between full-size cans, out of the D1001 and the MS-1, can someone tell me which benefits from which type of music? From what I've read, Rock and Metal go to MS-1... what kind of rock? Classic only?

I'm mainly an indie/alternative listener (ex Radiohead/Modest Mouse), experimental electronica (house and IDM... just assume that's "techno") like Justice/Aphex Twin, instrumentals/ambient (post rock like Explosions in the Sky or trip-hop like Portishead), rap (Wu-Tang Clan or Atmosphere), prog (Muse/King Crimson) and jazz (Miles Davis/John Coltrane big two) are some other stuff. What about pop and folk (like Fleet Foxes/Bon Iver) and female vocalists (Imogen Heap/Paramore)? Punk, classic rock and metal are rare listens but still there. I've read both take dumps on orchestral classical, but I can cope with that. Judging from that list of genres, only a few need bass quantity

Hope I didn't make that too long so that no one will read it

My music preferences overlap a lot with yours. I would personally choose the D1001 over my Grado 225's but I haven't heard the MS-1's (although, in theory the 225's should be better than the MS-1's). However, that is just my taste in headphones. Some people LOVE Grado's and would never give them up for any other can. They are really agressive and bright headphones (although I have heard that the MS-1's are not as bright) and have a very exciting sound when you first listen to them.

I am sure you won't be disappointed with either though.

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #18 of 18
I'dve loved some ES7s in high school. Foldable cups, good looks, good SQ, decent enough isolation, low amount of sound leakage, and a low enough impedance to be driven well with any portable player. Perfect choice for high school cans IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back