Headphones for Rock
Dec 26, 2012 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

izzie

New Head-Fier
Hey guys im new here! I'm on a budget so I cant decide between the Sennheiser 218 hd, Sennheiser HD 201 or the Piooner SE-MJ721

What do you think?

My budget is 60€ (79$)

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 5
izzie,
 Even though you are on a budget, I would save up for a better quality headphone.  The sad thing is: there aren't any quality headphones under $100 that are worth your money.  After $150, one can start to get some better cans.  Look in to beyerdynamic headphones which come around for 170 on Ebay. (BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohms)...  With rock music, mids are needed to so the guitars and voice sound good.  Look for those kind of headphones.  

Good luck in your purchasing,  MCL 

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm guessing you're not in the US, which will mean Grados cost a fortune, right? Otherwise, the SR-60 would be my #1 suggestion (and they're right at $79 too) - absolutely fantastic choice for rock and a fantastic overall performer. The other two cans i would suggest come from Koss - the R/80 (which are under $50), and the DJ100 (which are also available as the DJ200 and TBSE); both are very good all-rounders, and will handle rock very well, but the SR-60 are better for that specific genre.

I'd also disagree with the claim that there are "no quality headphones under $100" very much.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 5
I am glad that we disagree on this subject.  It is great to know that people  have informed opinions.  I respect your recommendations... I am just saying that if one wants a actual pair of studio headphones, I would purchase a little nicer set of headphone.  Durability, and well built drivers are key factors for me so spending a little more is worth it.    Yes, some headphones are decent under $100 but there is a huge difference for just a little bit more.  

MCL 

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I am glad that we disagree on this subject.  It is great to know that people  have informed opinions.  I respect your recommendations... I am just saying that if one wants a actual pair of studio headphones, I would purchase a little nicer set of headphone.  Durability, and well built drivers are key factors for me so spending a little more is worth it.    Yes, some headphones are decent under $100 but there is a huge difference for just a little bit more.  

MCL 

I'd continue to disagree - most "actual studio headphones" run right around (or under) $100 (either list or street - most cases both), and the improvements over $100 are generally not "huge" - sure there's improvements, but they're usually centered on sound-staging, coloration, and extension more than anything else.

All of the headphones I suggested have excellent drivers, are very well built (the SR-60 are actually made domestically), and come with fantastic customer service/warranties behind them (Koss being the industry leader for warranties and customer service). There are plenty of more expensive models that pale by comparison, and again I feel obligated to remind people that price is NOT a good indicator of quality, performance, etc - it just tells you how much lighter your pocketbook will be when you've finished shopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back