Headphones for planes
Oct 30, 2008 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fenderbender4

New Head-Fier
I travel on planes to and from school and home. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for full-sized headphones for blocking out the plane noise. I don't want to get into noise-canceling headphones (unless those are the best option, I don't know a whole lot when it comes to this stuff). This is my first post, so if I asked a redundant/stupid question I apologize. Thanks in advance for the help.

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 9
I am about to take a trip and I have been looking at these:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...1-20/ref=nosim

For traveling, portability is the most important thing imo. You don't want to end up messing up your expensive can's by having to stuff them in a bag.

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 9
Have you considered IEMs? I have a pair of Shure e3cs that I keep around for air travel. They're not bad for the price and do a great job of blocking external noise.

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 9
I would recommend the Ety ER6i/ER4P. I used a pair of ER6is on 13 hour flights to and from China, and they saved me. Probably as good as it gets in terms of SQ and isolation for the money. They are also physically smaller than most IEMs (something to think about if you intend on traveling as light as possible).

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 9
I would say definitely go for IEM portables. IEMs are basically earplugs with nice speakers inside of them. You can go to the portable headphone section to learn more about specific models but I have had the Shure e3c for two years or so and I love them. I use them basically for traveling and the such. Mine were about $150, but I am sure you can get quality IEMs for around $100. I'm just not up to date.

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 9
For headphones the closed back Senns would probably be the best choice as they offer the most isolation. But it still wouldn't be as good as an IEM, so unless you belong to the IEM hater camp I suggest that you look at the IEMs first.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 9
+1 for Etymotic ER-6i. These are and have been my airplane companions for 4-5 years (on my second pair now, as I left the first one on a plane after a long day of many delays, etc...). For the money, the combination of isolation and SQ is unbeatable. I enjoy my music and never even notice the screaming baby in the row behind. Full-size headphones simply will not isolate anywhere mear as well, especially the combination of low-grade engine rumble plus cabin noice on a plane. They don't need an amp, so you can use them directly from the HO of an ipod or other player. Keep an eye out for sales/discounts at the usual online stores (amazon, buy.com) -- I got mine for under $70 both times.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 9
I agree with everyone above. IEMs are no doubt the best phones for air travel. There are so many different types, especially based on budget. For around $80 the RE2's I have heard are a great bargain. If money is not a problem you can look into the top of the line Shure's and Ultimate Ears.

Once again, jump over the the IEM forum for lots of great advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back