Headphones for people with big ears
Jan 10, 2005 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lukelukeluke

New Head-Fier
Hey all-

My ears stick out a little. Nothing out of the ordinary, maybe 1/2". Wearing some headphone models compresses the cartilage of my ears against my head, which after about two hours becomes very painful.

A good example of a pair of cans I can't wear (for long) is the Sony MDR-7506. A good example of cans I *can* wear is Sennheiser HD477. These, however, suck. I have them because they were free.

I'm looking for a pair of 'phones that I'll be able to wear indefinitely, and high enough quality to use for recording work. Price range is roughly $150-$350. It'd be great if they were low impedance so they'd work with my iRiver, but that's not absolutely necessary.

So... What'cha got?

Jan 10, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 20
I have the same problem with my V6. I have sensitive ear cartilage too and after an hour My ears would be very sore. I had to add black felt beneath the pads to lift them up off my head and relieve the pressure. Now theyre OK.

My DT770 are very comfey. I dont find that my ears touch them at all.

Garrett

Jan 10, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 20
i experienced the same thing with the Sony v06's too. I have the hd580's now and they are very comfortable, i wear them for hours sometimes and they never have bothered me at all, they sound excellent but whether or not they fit your other requirements i dont know.

Jan 10, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 20
Generally senns oval shaped cups fit ears better than round ones. Now this koss would be the one-size-fits-all phones. Most of their phones should be relatively easy to drive, although I'm not sure how they sound. Current models seem to use smaller cups. Have you tried them ?

Jan 10, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukelukeluke
My ears stick out a little. Nothing out of the ordinary, maybe 1/2". Wearing some headphone models compresses the cartilage of my ears against my head, which after about two hours becomes very painful.

So... What'cha got?

Try Sennheiser 590

Jan 10, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 20
I would recommend following cans:

Beyer DT770

Audio Techinica A500, A700, or A900

All of the above listed models are extermely comfortable and I can wear them for hours without any fatigue. Those models above are big enough and deep enough that you should be able to wear them without the drivers pressing against your ears.

Jan 11, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by waylman
senn hd280 pro's should work nicely

I found the HD280 to be too "clampy" and that the pads were too shallow and my ears kept resting on the driver area. On top of that, I don't care much for their sound, but hey.

I love my HD595s, though. Comfy as heck, easy to drive, and portable so long as you don't mind wearing large, open cans in public. Oh, and they sound fantastic, in my opinion.

Jan 11, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 20
HD590's would work pretty well, and are right within the budget. The 590's have a fairly soft grip on the head, but they also have firm and deep velour pads, just perfect for someone with oversized ears
580smile.gif
I've had a pair of 500's for a while (yeah I know
redface.gif
) and one of the (many) things that annoyed me was that the pads were too shallow, and the foam covering the drivers would press against my ears. I don't have ears like an elephant though
biggrin.gif
so this would probably be a bigger problem for someone that does.

Also, the Audio-Technica A700 should be within the budget, but I haven't heard it, so I can't say how it sounds. I've heard both the A500 and A900, and if the A700 is in between in terms of quality, then it should be very good, and a close match to the 590, better in the mids but slightly less detailed. It is also right in the budget ($150).

I wouldn't recommend the 555/595 because the earcup size on them is actually quite small, no matter what the pictures look like. They're a good deal smaller and tidier than the 590, which is where they lose a few points in terms of comfort. Other than that though, they're also very comfortable, and as for the sound, well, take a look at 1/4ths of the threads in this forum and you'll find something
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 20
*looks at all posting dates on this thread*

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE...

If you saved enough money for the past 10 or so years, the Hifiman Edition X or HE-1000 have plenty of room for your ears. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back