Headphones for my 'puter ...
Apr 21, 2006 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Goofy

New Head-Fier
I am a very new head-fi'er, and being so I resently bought a pair of ue super.fi 5 pros and ordered both a PA2V2 and a pair of MS-1's. But this is all for my iPod ..

Now for my computer I have ESI Juli@ soundcard and a set of active monitors from ESI as well (sounds great, by the way). But with the MS-1's on the way, I'd like someway to connect them to my computer - if possible, without having to swap cables or at least a simple way of doing so. I'm using the the TRS-outputs of the Julia@ card..

Any ideas? I guess I need some TRS to minijack, in order to connect the PA2V2, which I suppose is a good idea? As opposed to just connected the headphones directly?

Apr 28, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Am I not making any sense here? Or can nobody help me out?
eek.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofy
Any ideas? I guess I need some TRS to minijack, in order to connect the PA2V2, which I suppose is a good idea? As opposed to just connected the headphones directly?

A TRS -> minijack should be fine connecting your PA2V2 to the sound card. If there was a way you could get a splitter of some sort, that would be good but I'm not familiar with what options you may have where you are.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 10
OK - thought that would be the way to connect it. But as you say, it would be really nice to have a switch of some sort, so that I could choose either to use the monitors or the headphones ...

Would a permanent splitter be better than a switch (if such a thing exists)?

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

A TRS -> minijack should be fine connecting your PA2V2 to the sound card.

I don't know if I'm mixing things up here, but as far as I know, the TRS-outs on the Juli@ are balanced. I guess that using a simple TRS->minijack adapter won't work. I'd recommend rotating the upper part of the card and using the (unbalanced) RCA-out (you'd still need a 2xRCA->minijack adapter, but they should be easier to find than 2xTRS (balanced) -> minijack)

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 10
My knowledge of this stuff is pretty limited - but why wouldn't it work?

Switching to the RCA-jacks on Juli@ card is not really an option - because I use TRS to TRS from the Juli@ card to my ESI monitors (which work very well).

Could another alternative be to use the optical output, and somehow convert this into the PA2V2? I would then be able to switch between my monitors and the headphones, by selecting the channel on the card (ch1234 or whatever)?

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofy
Could another alternative be to use the optical output, and somehow convert this into the PA2V2? I would then be able to switch between my monitors and the headphones, by selecting the channel on the card (ch1234 or whatever)?

Hi/Hej,
Yes, but an expensive solution.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can solve it by using a DPDT (shorting or make-before-break) switch. You'll probably also want the headphone output to have a seperate volume control, to prevent going earsplittingly loud by mistake. The monitors you have already have sensitivity controls on them?

Problem is that just inserting a volume control (pot) between a headphone and the soundcard output will make the pot work non-logarithmically, so you will get some sudden, unpredictable, volume increases by just turning the volume control slightly.
To get this working as it should, use an op-amp after the pot, but then you will need external power too (9V)
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 10
Hi (Hej) - You obviously know more about this than I
rolleyes.gif

Do you have a picture of a DPDT switch? I'd like a better idea of what we're talking about .. The monitors I have, have volume control on both (being active) - don't know anything about sensitivity. I just have them set to a medium level - and then I control the volume by using the Juli@ application ..

Don't really know what is meant by "non-logarithmically" ...

For the headphones, I thought of using the PA2V2 - which have a volume control - isn't this ok?

What you describe, sounds a bit more complex than what I'm looking for
eek.gif

May 1, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 10
D'oh, i forgot you mentioned you will be using a headphone amp.... well, nevermind about the volume control and op-amp "buffer" then, it's useless
icon10.gif

A DPDT switch is a double throw double pole switch.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/.../gc/dpdt.l.jpg
http://www.imadang.co.kr/tech-data/img/dpdt.jpg

For what you want, assume C1 should be the left input C2 should be the right.

Connect the headphone connector housing (tip is left, ring is right, the rest is ground). Left goes to NC1, Right goes to NC2.

The monitors must be connected to NO1 for left, NO2 for right.

Connect all ground wires at the same point, so no hum will be generated.

When you flip the switch you change between the speakers and the headphones.
I can draw the schematic for you if you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Thank you for clearing things up here
tongue.gif

No need for schematic - I get the idea!

What you describe sounds like a really good solution - is there anyone who sells this stuff already made? On eBay for instance?

Don't really know anything about soldering - and I want it to be good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back