Headphones for movies: any decent solution?
Sep 9, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #16 of 26
All you need is some earphones with incredible isolation. It doesn't matter what they sound like. Because they're not for you. They're for her.

Scotland wouldn't be a bad thing. I only visited, but it was gorgeous and everyone was nice. Many idyllic looking places. However, it took me forever to find out what a Bruce is (as in "Robert the Bruce").

Sep 9, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
BTW I was wandering if there was some kind of "surround headphones" specifically made for movies.

Not special headphones, but a sound processor like Dolby Headphone is what you are looking for, as already mentioned.

DH gives you 5.1 surround sound through headphones, by processing 5.1 signals (Dolby Digital, Pro Logic, DTS). It works wonders for movies. http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/DolbyHeadphone.shtml

DH is available on some receivers, PC DVD players, and headphone wireless systems (Pioneer, Philips, Audio Technica).

The AKG Hearo 999 has a similar processor as Dolby Headphone.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #18 of 26
Senn HD595 is known to be a great movie headphone!

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #19 of 26
I'd suggest the ultrasone HFI-700. They're closed and great for listening to DVDs. For whatever reason (S-Logic sound?), I notice a big difference between the ultrasones and other headphones I own (Grado SR80, Sennheiser HD 595, and ATH AD700). Having said that, I don't think they're a good all-round set of cans. I don't like them for listening to music (out of a variety of sources), but for movies alone, they can't be beat.

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #20 of 26
the sony MDR-XD's they have a movie swich.

don't get hi-end amost all movies have bad sound.

or something that says tv or movie on it.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
I did not know that closed cans where better.
In this case I can try with my L3000: they are close and have great bass.

BTW I was wandering if there was some kind of "surround headphones" specifically made for movies. Has anybody heard the AKG surround one?

There was the Sennheiser surrounder. And it works really well for DVDs. But youll have a bit of a hard time finding one.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jramonf
Not special headphones, but a sound processor like Dolby Headphone is what you are looking for, as already mentioned.

DH gives you 5.1 surround sound through headphones, by processing 5.1 signals (Dolby Digital, Pro Logic, DTS). It works wonders for movies. http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/DolbyHeadphone.shtml

DH is available on some receivers, PC DVD players, and headphone wireless systems (Pioneer, Philips, Audio Technica).

The AKG Hearo 999 has a similar processor as Dolby Headphone.

I wish there was a WinAmp plug-in version of this. It's all software, so there could be. But there isn't, is there?

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama
Senn HD595 is known to be a great movie headphone!

Disagree with this. Their totally unnatural, vertically stacked soundstage had a hard time convincing me I was "right in the action," let alone not listening to headphones with a really bizarre soundstage.

I found the DT880 (highs EQ'd way down, bass turned up) much better, though this is not really a recommendation for them since I haven't had much of a chance to try other headphones for movies. Their comfort was great (especially for changing positions to keep comfortable during a movie), dialog was very clear, and they had nice spaciousness.

Sep 9, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV
Uhhh, maybe a little less time on Head-Fi and a little more time on the social scene...just kidding, man!!!

Anyway, Vic, I think I have your solution. Back when my son was a newborn, my wife would be working in the evening and after he would go to bed I would like to relax with a cold beer and watch a movie. But, his room was on the other side of my 2nd home theater system. I quickly discovered that my Marantz SR-5500 receiver had a gem on it called Dolby Headphone. I tried it out initially with some Sennheiser HD-595s straight out of it's headphone out, and sounded pretty decent, but I was looking for more bumps in the rumps. I added a headphone amp with a bass boost switch that added 3dB under 200Hz, paired with the 595s and it was like magic. Now that my son is a little older and I don't have to be right there when he's sleeping now and could watch movies on my main system in the basement, I still enjoy watching movies with my 595s and Dolby Headphone mode. I know Marantz and Harman Kardon offer it on a lot of their receivers. I think Philips has some headphone rig as well with this, but it's a few hundreded dollars. I know Marantz just announced a bunch of new receivers with this technology, so you might want to consider something like this. It really does do a convincing job of doing surround sound with headphones. Personally, I think it's one of Dolby's top technologies.

Hi Jonny,

I am curious to try this. Is ther an amp you would recommend that has this bass boost. I currently have the 595's and a HK receiver with Dolby Headphone. I agree that it is an amazing technology, but was just thinking last night it would be nice to have a touch more bass.
Any advice would be much appreciated. BTW, do you go from headphone out to amp to 595's?
Thanks
Greg

Sep 10, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBe
Hi Jonny,

I am curious to try this. Is ther an amp you would recommend that has this bass boost. I currently have the 595's and a HK receiver with Dolby Headphone. I agree that it is an amazing technology, but was just thinking last night it would be nice to have a touch more bass.
Any advice would be much appreciated. BTW, do you go from headphone out to amp to 595's?
Thanks
Greg

Many people hate the man, but love his amps, and that's a Shellbrook Audio Labs Maxi Moy Signature. Just do a search anywhere on Drew Dunn and you'll find plenty to read. He does make some great amps, and this amp with the Marantz and 595s make a great combo. Everyone has their own opinion, and mine is that the 595s work well for movies considering their swiss army knife capabilities. I also tried some Audio-Technica 700s that were open, and didn't like them as much as the 595s for movies. Also, I highly recommend against IEMs for movies BTW, but that's probably already a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back