Headphones for movies: any decent solution?
Sep 8, 2006 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Vic

500+ Head-Fier
Only recently I discovered that my girlfriend possess hearing superpowers (like the Fantastic Four): she can hear me watching movies from two floors above, through walls, ceilings, doors, carpets, like a sort of x-ray vision.
I really love deeply my movie system, but have not used for three months and decided to put it for sale
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

So now I have to choose between:
- Relocate to an abandoned derelict big castle in some small island off Northern Scotland
- Find a new girlfriend

A third remote possibility would be to try to find some sort of headphone system that can give at least a very small part of the enjoyment I used to get from my movie system, but I don't have much hope
frown.gif

I have tried the following set up:
Denon 2900 in PCM 2CH mode > Internal DAC of my Opus 21 > Supra XLR > K1000 or balanced HD650.
The result in both cases was to fall asleep after about 15 minutes.

Does anybody know of some magical way of somehow enjoy a movie through headphones?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Only recently I discovered that my girlfriend possess hearing superpowers (like the Fantastic Four): she can hear me watching movies from two floors above, through walls, ceilings, doors, carpets, like a sort of x-ray vision.
I really love deeply my movie system, but have not used for three months and decided to put it for sale
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

- Relocate to an abandoned derelict big castle in some small island off Northern Scotland
- Find a new girlfriend

A third remote possibility would be to try to find some sort of headphone system that can give at least a very small part of the enjoyment I used to get from my movie system, but I don't have much hope
frown.gif

I have tried the following set up:
Denon 2900 in PCM 2CH mode > Internal DAC of my Opus 21 > Supra XLR > K1000 or balanced HD650.
The result in both cases was to fall asleep after about 15 minutes.

Does anybody know of some magical way of somehow enjoy a movie through headphones?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Get something that's a little more bassy. DT-770 or A900 should do it. Either that or tell your girlfriend to stop being so selfish.

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 26
Since you'll be needing closed cans to prevent the sound from bleeding out while you're watching movies, I would also second the recommedation of either the DT-770 or A900. Both cans have excellent detail, soundstage, and have lots of bass.

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 26
Wow, I would have thought that the 650's would have sounded sweet. I used to love mine for movies... even prefered them over my DT770's. You may be screwed my friend
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Since you'll be needing closed cans to prevent the sound from bleeding out while you're watching movies, I would also second the recommedation of either the DT-770 or A900. Both cans have excellent detail, soundstage, and have lots of bass.

I did not know that closed cans where better.
In this case I can try with my L3000: they are close and have great bass.

BTW I was wandering if there was some kind of "surround headphones" specifically made for movies. Has anybody heard the AKG surround one?

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic

BTW I was wandering if there was some kind of "surround headphones" specifically made for movies. Has anybody heard the AKG surround one?

They wont have the bloated rumbling bass that the DT-770 has. The L3000 is also overkill for just watching movies (or at least I would imagine so).

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic

Not necessarily better than open cans in the context of sound quality, but closed cans isolate sound leakage better.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
- Find a new girlfriend

frown.gif

I think the best thing for your long-term sanity will be option number two. If she's this bad already, just imagine how it will get as time goes on. Can you say "bitchwhipped?"

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 26
I recently got 770's and I was using them when I just moved before I could setup the projector and speakers and I was amazed at how great they made movies and games sound. All I could I could do while using them was kick myself for buying the sr-60's in college and these afterwards, I really should have got them in oppisite order.

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Be happy you have a girlfriend!

Not all of us do.

Uhhh, maybe a little less time on Head-Fi and a little more time on the social scene...just kidding, man!!!

Anyway, Vic, I think I have your solution. Back when my son was a newborn, my wife would be working in the evening and after he would go to bed I would like to relax with a cold beer and watch a movie. But, his room was on the other side of my 2nd home theater system. I quickly discovered that my Marantz SR-5500 receiver had a gem on it called Dolby Headphone. I tried it out initially with some Sennheiser HD-595s straight out of it's headphone out, and sounded pretty decent, but I was looking for more bumps in the rumps. I added a headphone amp with a bass boost switch that added 3dB under 200Hz, paired with the 595s and it was like magic. Now that my son is a little older and I don't have to be right there when he's sleeping now and could watch movies on my main system in the basement, I still enjoy watching movies with my 595s and Dolby Headphone mode. I know Marantz and Harman Kardon offer it on a lot of their receivers. I think Philips has some headphone rig as well with this, but it's a few hundreded dollars. I know Marantz just announced a bunch of new receivers with this technology, so you might want to consider something like this. It really does do a convincing job of doing surround sound with headphones. Personally, I think it's one of Dolby's top technologies.

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
- Find a new girlfriend

frown.gif

COME TO SCOTLAND!

I'm looking for mates to enjoy my setup with!

In case you might have been looking more serisouly for the alternate suggestion, mya I send my tentitive regards to the sealed wire less offereing from Sennheiser, the RS140. If you do go ad buy it, some of us head-fiers are deeply curious as to how well it actually performs.

But yeah, come to scotland. Its lovely up here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back